DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi!
I am planning on adopting/rescuing a Labradoodle, hopefully soon.

There is a dog that I am looking at with a curly, poodle-like coat. I'm wondering what type of coat this is classified as and the type of grooming necessary. I want the coat to grow longer and fluffier so I am willing to do the work!

this is a pic of him now, I think pretty closely clipped:

and I'd like to grow it longer and brush out to look fluffy and teddy bear-like and cute!

or, Barb, you have a pic on your site called 'Happy Zak' who also has a beautiful coat.

Can this look be accomplished with the curly coat? (with brushing)

and what products are best for this, shampoo, cond, spray on conditioners, etc.

I'm already planning on the air blower. Glad I read up early!

If these are your dogs, they are gorgeous and I hope you don't mind that I used this pic as an example of gorgeous coats....

Thanks for any and all advice,

Carolyn

Views: 185

Replies to This Discussion

He is a good looking doodle, nice coat. Looks like his coat is about 1/2 inch. I agree with Deborah, a metal comb & brush. The blower was a good investment for me, I have 2 dogs to dry. I think their coats look nice longer when I use the blower.

I use MinkSheen shampoo, has conditioner in it. Chris Christensen Silk Spirits liquid silk protein after I bathe them.
Barbara, THanks for responding. I am definitely going to get the blower. So, you use the Le Pooch, worth it, huh?!? I looked at your pics and your two girls are so cute. What would you call their coats? I still don't know the difference between wool and fleece....I've heard good reviews on the C. christensen products...I'll try them and the Mink Sheen shampoo.
Carolyn, It is easier to see the difference in the coat types when you look at them together. It is hard for me to tell just looking at pictures. Abby (Chocolate) has a wool coat. I keep her coat shorter 1-2 inches, it doesn't drape. Molly has a fleece coat, her curls spiral.. Abby's wool coat isn't as shiny as Molly's fleece. I don't find one harder to care for than the other. They know every evening they get a treat and checked for tangles. I brush and comb them every 7 to 10 days. I do like the Les Poochs brush and a comb for Molly's fleece coat. A metal comb is the most important grooming tool I use.
Molly's summer cut..her fleece coat looks very curly when she is cut shorter..

Carolyn ~ He is beautiful! Or should I say handsome :-) He reminds me of my friend Joanne's dog Spud. You can find her on here under Joanne, Spud and Starlit. Spud has a coat just like this and she keeps him cut short for the ease of grooming. I just love the wooly look when they are groomed and fluffy. Hunter's coat is totally different she has the more wirey coat which doesn't matte basically at all but she does shed, she gets bigger type curls when it gets a little humid or she gets wet. Did she send you more photos? I would love to see them!!
Hi Denise! I have the 2 pics that I posted here and 2 others that have her son in them, so I won't post them. I'm just trying to figure out the different coats!! And, instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd rather just buy the products that work well with this type of coat!
I probably would keep 'Mr. Shagg's' coat short when convenient but I love the long brushed out look! They look so cuddly and teddy bear-ish!! And they always seem to pose for the camera!! I'm definitely catching this doodlitis!!!
Carolyn-
What a gorgeous boy you have!
It is difficult to tell for sure just from a photo when the doggy has a curly coat... Curly does NOT always mean wool- it depends on the texture. There are curly fleece/spiral fleece, wavy fleece, and many steps and variations in between... Many breeders have different ideas and definitions of these, but the key is to focus on texture, and body... (Does the coat move when your doggy moves, or the wind blows- or does it stand up on end after a brushing and stay in place...)
I have a cream wool girl, Aria, and 3 doggies (Cash, Sunny, and Tom) with spiral fleece coats that when clipped short would probably look wool in a photo- but the texture is COMPLETELY different, and the curls are much more open and loose.... This is difficult to see when they are cut shorter because you can't see how the curls hang or flow.
A true wool coat will have a lambswool texture and is very dense without much movement or body... You can ask your groomer for a "Teddy Bear" cut on the face- but from the photo, your cute little guy's face is much curlier than the example photo you posted, and will most likely not lay flat and straight like theirs... but the Teddy Bear cut keeps curly doodles looking like doodles, and NOT like poodles! =D
Thanks Katie, I was thinking that his curly face probably would lay flat. Interesting about all the different fleeces!
Hi Katie, Thanks for the info. Good to hear from a breeder....I looks like your Aria has the same type of coat. She looks amazing! I love the fluffiness since that equals soft hugginess! I really can't at this point tell the difference between your dog with spiral fleece and what this adoptee has. I guess if I start hangin' with lots of doodles I will certainly learn!
He is adorable!!!! I agree he has a curly wool coat. Peri has a fleece and she isn't as curly cut down. Here she is with her summer cut (see she is not as curly - your guy will look more like the dood on the right in your post in my opinion):

Peri is such a huggable for sure! Thanks for responding.
Hi, Just food for thought before you buy an expensive brush...Duff won't let me anywhere near him with a brush. He sees it and runs. If his coat really needs to be brushed, I have to hold him. I did all the right things too. I brushed him a lot when he was a puppy, introduced treats and brushes, etc. I only use a comb on him for this reason. No matter what brush I use, he bends away from it like I'm poking him with needles, even if it has large plastic nubs for bristles. He is far less fearful of the comb.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service