DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Yeti absolutely hates to be brushed! He acts like I'm torturing him! I figured I'd lure him in with his favorite chewy ring and brush him while he was entertained with that. Unfortunately that did not work even for a second. I'm using just a regular pin brush because I read that that's all I would need to get the job done for a 3 month old goldendoodle. I want to keep trying to brush him in hopes that he will eventually get used to it. Does anyone have tips or tricks that helped them?!

I do believe his coat is considered wavy but I attached a picture just incase!

Views: 439

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have any advice really but my pup has a similar coat and I believe a pin brush is sufficient at this time. Have you tried giving treats to reward any moments of not responding like he's being tortured? My pup tries to bite the brush but he doesn't appear super upset by it. What exactly does he do?
He tries to attack the brush and bites my hand as well ☹️He also will not sit still for a second when he sees the brush come out. II have a feeling it's pulling his coat and he doesn't like it so I think I'll try to have my boyfriend help hold him so I can be extra gentle. I wasn't sure if there is a "de tangling" spray for dogs haha! I have long thick hair myself so I understand not wanting my hair pulled when I brush it. I just don't want mats to become an issue. I would hate to have to shave down his beautiful coat.
Our Beckett has a super curly coat. I mainly comb him with a metal comb. He doesn't like slicker brushes (and I don't blame him). My husband holds him and rewards him with treats if he is still. He's 11 months old and unless he's up on the grooming table, it takes 2 of us to brush him. We sit on the floor in the evenings and watch tv.
Thank you so much! I think I'll have to have my boyfriend hold him from now on!
When my puppies were young, I first started with a brush that was very soft. Not really to get him used to the eventual pin type brush yet, but just to get them used to being brushed. You can work up to the more stiffer brushes later.
Just make it very easy and comfortable at first. Treats and easy brushes and not for a long time at first.
I don't know if this will help but the way I got Hurley to like being brushed is first playing with him until he was tired then laying on the floor by him talking in a soft voice and stroking him with my hand. Then I would start using the brush. This approach worked well for us. It stated with no more than a few minutes at a time which I gradually increased. He loves that bonding time now.

I agree with Leslie that starting with a soft brush might be better. I don't think when starting out it is as important to get your pup fully brushed as it is to build that relationship with you and him and the use of the brush.

Just my thoughts and experience.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I think the pin brush is soft enough. His coat shouldn't be matting yet. Just get used to brushing as part of a routine. You can build up frequency.

Possibly wait until he is resting, or sleeping, and gently pet him, and then gently start brushing.  I started gently brushing through the coat after Charlie had been home a week.  I used a small Yellow dog brush, that had plastic tines.  At 3 mos, they generally have a soft coat which is easily brushed. Hang in there and keep working at it.

I agree with what many here are saying. You need to desensitize him to the brush. I agree with Leslie about using a soft brush. If he appears to dislike the brush, start with showing him the brush and treating him. Keep it short sessions. When he seems fine with it being near him, start touching the brush to his coat, giving him treats. Once that is okay with him, run it over his coat, giving treats, but don't let it do anything to hurt him, like hit a tangle. Once he is comfortable with being brushed with a soft brush, switch onto a heavier brush and brush a very small part of his coat that you think does not have tangle, giving treats again. The idea is yo change his emotional response from, "Oh, I hate that thing!" to "That thing means something good!". I would combine the brushing with petting and relaxing with him.

Taps has not liked brushing either...He is now 8 months and he still does not favor it....I have pin brushes . the le pooch brush, all the recommended combs...I use great bathing soap, conditioners and  spray in conditioners.  Are you having him lie down , brushing from bottom up sectioning off and brushing upward in horizontal lines?  That helps some. I also try the same progression when I have him on the grooming table, with help. Having 2 helps but no body else has patience... Otherwise I am just hoping he'll grow into liking it. Taps also is wavy.

Attachments:

Don't know your family situation but my husband snuggles Ned - used to distract him, while I brush/comb.

Maybe after he settles down after a good exhaustive play session?  If he likes belly rubs, start there with a gentle brush while your boyfriend gives soothing massages too.  Picco likes a comb or rake brush the best over a slicker or pin.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service