DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have been reading Doodle Grooming about wool, fleece and hair types but can't find any photos of the different coat types. Would someone(s) post pics of their dood and comment on type of coat, please?

Views: 2431

Replies to This Discussion

These are great pictures and really clears up my confusion as to what type of coat Murphy has. Thanks. I do find that some of his hair/fur can get a little frizzy. Does anyone use any products to help with that? I use good dog shampoo and conditioner and a shine/gloss from Chris Christensen. Any ideas?
Oh goody! I've been trying to figure this out - thanks so much for posting this question. Here's a pic of Webster, a goldendoodle. Someone gave me a link to Tegan's Labradoodle sight and they have coat types listed as wavy fleece and spiral fleece. Here it seems to be wool and fleece. Is there a difference? I'm thinking that Webster has a combination loose wool/curly fleece.......yes?no?

Webster is wool and could be called a soft or new wool

Murphy has #1) Soft silky big curls on his back from base of neck to mid back, Then it changes to #2) the top of his head which is kind of kemp I guess, then #3) Fleece, straighter and the part that gets a little frizzy, and #4 is the whole package, altho he's asleep and I didn't want to wake him to take a picture of his neck and chest which is really pretty little curls. So he's got a little of everything.
Great pictures - yes, this is very similar to Webster's coat - thanks for posting these!
Ned, Luca, Webster and Murphy do seem a lot alike at least in their pictures. Is wool less soft than fleece? The top of Ned's head has always been spirals, These spirals do not flop down like so many other doodles even though it is as long as my index finger. His coat does flow when he moves but when he lays down it stays fluffed up. Does this make it wool? Ned doesn't seem to shed onto us but when I brush him I get a large handful of fur out, much of it in tiny pin knots. His adult coat is a bit coarser and spiraly than his puppy coat.
Webster has these same spirals on the top of his head and beautiful curls on his neck and chest. He doesn't shed but the past couple months I do get brushfuls of fur when I brush him. After reading the wonderful information on this site, I think that this may be a result of his may be "blowing" out his baby coat. Up until he was about 8 months old, there would be very little hair on the brush - I wonder if he will go back to this once his coat change is over. Webster is 11 months old, how old is Ned?
Murphy has been doing the same as Webster far as loosing hair. Up to 8 months there was practically no hair on the brush. But after that we have been getting brushfuls as well. He's 13 months old now and it seems to slow down some days, and then another day I get a bunch of hair again on the brush. And I comb him as well and will get hair on the comb too. Otherwise he doesn't shed all over and I can even wear black pants and never get even one hair on me.
From what I have read, this can go on for about another 6 months. He is also getting lighter, but in spots. Like his snout, top layer of whole length of tail, and just splashes of blonde on his legs and hindquarters. Looks like someone took a spraybottle of bleach and just sprayed him here and there. Very unique.
Ned is almost 2. His groomer told me that he might have more baby coat until he is 2 1/2. We brush/comb him often and have him groomed regularly so I guess he is just taking a while to complete the "change." Since about 20 months I have noticed a big difference in Ned's coat. It has more body, is more spirally and the mats can usually be brushed/combed out.
wool can be very soft especially the newer wools but most wools are stiff, they are very soft as puppies which is why some breeders call them fleece but as they age they curl up more and get stiffer. Sometimes this doesnt happen until they are 2yrs old.
This is true. Harlow was extremely soft as a puppy, but as her adult coat is coming in it is stiffer. She is still soft, but not that bunny rabbit soft she was as a puppy.
This is very, very helpful. I've also read the descriptions of coat types in Doodle Grooming, but it can still be difficult to tell the difference if you're new to this and inexperienced. The pictures really help a lot, thank you!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service