DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So, Abby (who will be 8 months old this week) went in for her second grooming Saturday. The first grooming visit a few months ago was more of a trim than an actual cut. The experience was great for both myself and Abby. However, the groomer was a little overpriced and farther away from my home than I would like. 

I live in Florida, where we are having a hotter than usual spring. Abby has been panting all the time, even when inside in air conditioning. So I finally made the decision to have her cut short for the spring/ summer. But this time I took her to a groomer who was closer to me, well recommended and a bit cheaper.

I am very nervous when it comes to taking Abby to the groomer. I am very specific. I take in photos and tell them exactly what I like and don't like. The groomer's response after my lengthy explanation was "I completely understand and don't worry, I won't let her look like a poodle." Well, when I went to pick her up, I was shocked to see her head and face (my favorite feature of my little girl) was cut like a poodle. They did the top of head poof that I specifically said I did not want. The pigtail like ears I said not to do. They also shaved the bridge of her nose between her eyes and when I say shave I mean down to the skin. I told them not to cut her nose at all. I was so disappointed, even Abby felt less cute as normal. I know that sounds odd, but while she was happy at the groomer's and loving on everyone, she got mopey as soon as she got home. She laid around all weekend, mostly in her crate (which is rare when I am home with her). I feel so badly. 

I know this may be dramatic. And I know it will grow out. But I am beating myself up for not only going to a new groomer, but getting her groomed at all. I miss my fluffy faced little girl. And I hate that her personality has changed with this new hairdo. I am hoping it is just a phase. I know nothing bad happened at the groomer's. They didn't even put her in a crate while she was there. They said she was very well behaved.

Here are some photos. Is there anything else I can tell them the next time we go in to make sure they don't hack at her face. I gave them photos. Told them I just wanted it trimmed and blended with the body. 

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Views: 730

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a better face shot so you can see why I am not happy with it.

Kim, from your description of Abby's hair cut I was ready to cry with you....then I looked at your 'after' photo and saw an adorable doodle.  I would have preferred they take a little more length off Abby's ear hair.  I do like the hair removed around their eyes so we can see those beautiful doodle eyes.   Is Abby still panting?

I think Abby looks great and not at all poodly. It will all grow,though.

She doesn't look all that bad at all. I can see where they did not follow your instructions re head, but she does not look like a poodle. I suggest you go back and politely ask them to trim the ears. They will take more note of your instructions if you 'return' the product.

As far as her behaviour change, she is only reacting to you. She feels she has displeased you somehow and does not understand how. If you do the happy dance and let her know she is wonderful, you will have your dog back.

Thanks Barb. I did do a bit of a happy dance with her yesterday and even gave her some doggie ice cream. Maybe the whole weekend was just too exhausting for her. haha :)

I think she looks adorable!!

I started grooming my dog (after learning some major tips here!!) when I picked up Magic and he had his nose shaved so close there was blood - and they shaved his legs all skinny and gave him poodle feet :( 

The groomer was actually crying when I picked him up....so I didn't say anything, just never went back....

Cynthia, I am sure that was awful with Magic. I am glad everything is ok now.

Cynthia, That sounds so terrible. I am sorry you had to go through that. I remember the first groomer I went to said always ask for the teddy bear legs and remind them that the legs should be cut 1/2 inch to an inch longer than the body. That helped me the second time around, just not with the face. Hopefully you and Magic are having better grooming experiences now.

I think she looks adorable. OMD..that face :) It will grow and least she is clean. Vern rolls two minutes after getting groomed. The bottom line is you are unhappy. Do you know anyone else with a Doodle in your area that could recommend someone? Maybe ask at the vet, etc.....that is how I found our groomer. Good luck!!

Yes, I go to a monthly doodle romp. That is where I found out about this groomer... but I will ask around again to see if someone knows someone else. If not, I will just go back to the pricey groomer. At least they got the look I wanted. I just didn't want to make a habit of paying that much or driving that far each time. but Abby is worth it and so is my peace of mind.

Sounds like a good plan. Here is my Vern ONE day after grooming. Maybe this will help....LOL!!  For him, I just try for clean :) Abby really is just adorable.

He was trying to become a parti doodle and by George, I think he succeeded. Nice markings as they say.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service