DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I finally scheduled an appointment for the groomer. He is getting neutered soon and I wanted him fresh and clean before he goes in. I am however nervous! I don't want him to traumatized. We are just doing a bath, blow dry, brushing, and trim around eyes, feet, and sanitation areas. Sam will let me brush him, but I have tried to trim his hair around his eyes and feet and he barely lets me. I bought a small electic trimmer and he runs from it. Any advice on how to calm nerves, both mine and Sam's?

Views: 218

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Chelsie. My doodle is 2 1/2 and was exactly the same way as a puppy.  She now lets me trim her eyes and ears, and I've even groomed her a few times (she still hates for me to touch her tail though LOL). But what I found to ease both my poodle and doodle into the grooming scene was for the groomer to make it a "fun" experience and to only to a little bit for the first few visits.  I would stay near at hand so that when the groomer thought it was enough, I would be right there to bring the pup home.  Oh, and give the groomer special treats too for the dog.  Good luck :)

First of all Sam will pick up on your emotions so work real hard calming yourself. My Mojo wouldn't let me trim him and when he got his first grooming at four months he was very well behaved. The groomer said he was totally calm. Our puppies are often better behaved with the vet and groomer when were not around so relax. You can take him on a long walk first and than give him a nice massage and talk positive as you drop him off. Good luck with the grooming and neutering.

I found a groomer that was good with puppies. I told her I just wanted her to try to trim her feet and face along with a bath. The main object was for her to get use to going to the groomer without traumatizing her. She gave me a hint to play with her feet, rub my fingers between her toes etc, days before her appt. It just helps the puppies get used to groomer messing with their feet while trimming them. I told her to do what she could and if Loo was not cooperating, I would bring her back in a week or two. Loo had a nice trim and got a bow in her hair. She did great and now her tail wags when she sees Tessa! If you are worried talk to your groomer before you take Sam in for his appt.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service