DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Dolly has been dealing with a very itchy head and face for several months now. We have tried changing food, a couple courses of antibiotics, prescription shampoo and colloidal silver spray. She still doesn't seem to get any relief. It seems worse at night. When I try to trace back when it started, it appears that it was after one of her grooms when the groomer took a ton of her coat out. She was matted and she didn't shave her down, she seemed to just pull it or tear it all out. Is there anything that could have happened to her that would cause this or do any of you have any ideas?

Views: 63

Replies to This Discussion

That is puzzling and a problem. I think I would shave her...I know it seems drastic, but maybe you need to see all the skin really well and let it breathe.
I can only tell you about one experience I had, and it may have nothing to do with your experience. I had a groomer helper here for a while and she caused an abbrasion on the belly of one of my dogs. This abbrasion seeme to always irritate her and she would scratch and chew the area until there was no hair. This went on for about 6 months and no creams or anything seemed to help. Then I switched from a chicken based diet to a lamb based diet temporarily. I feed raw. Her spot started to heal and now she has no itchy issues and is back on a raw diet minus the chicken. I feed beef and turkey along with ther vegetables and oils.
Another member (Joy) told me to try EMU oil on my dog. Right now she is on antibiotics and prescription shampoo, but if that doesn't work, I will try the Emu oil. Certainly couldn't hurt. Worth a try.
I sympathize with this situation - I have found skin issues can be very challenging. Koji has had allergies since puppy hood and I have tried everything. I have gone to my regular Vet - my dermatological vet ( very helpful) and my Holistic Vet. Here is what I suggest - it takes time - patience and some experimenting. I would change her food - give her one protein one carb for 2 months. A protein she has not had : Fish - venison, lamb...whatever. I fed raw wxclusively for 2 years, but recently am combining ( too expensive) raw with Natural Balance - it is a limited ingredient food, I use kibble and canned and also the 'matching biscuit. NOTHING ELSE but the one protein you select. I would try to limit the antibiotics - (of course, if her skin is raw and open to infection - you need them - but the antibiotics are terrible for the immune system.) Get a good probiotic from the health food store - the ones refrigerated - and when she is not on the antibiotics give them to her daily to re-build the good bacteria. I don't know what colr she is - but I have made a caledula rinse from organic calendula tea, and after shampoo - I poor this on. Very good for skin. Omega 3 oils ( again - good quality ones) are very good for the skin.
Did the scratching coincide with any innoculations? And I would contine with the High quality colloidal silver. Organic lavender oil is a natural antihistamine - 1 -2 drops - let her snif fyour hand then rub over her before she goes to sleep - it is also calming.

Le t me know how Dolly is doing...
Thanks Nancy, it does sound like you have been through something similar. How is your dog now? I have switched Dolly to Orijen 6 fish formula although it isn't as limited ingredients as what you're suggesting. I will have to try that. I'm also considering oral colloidal silver in her water. I'm just so frustrated with the Drs. I too have taken Dolly to a Dermatologist/Allergest. Although her itching was less during her course of antibiotics( for a staph infection she developed from scratching), it still is not solving the underlying problem. I think it's kind of like raising kids. We know our dogs best and have to go with our gut insticts. Thanks for your input.
Hi Leslie: Orijen is an excellent food.

Yes, Koji got a staph infection too from scratching when he was a puppy. He has very thin skin - but I haven't had that happen in the last 18 months. I keep the colloidal silver on hand and dab some on when his skin gets irriated - and voila - no staph infections. Leslie - it is just like kids - you try everything and ultimately you go with your gut - and what works for you and your dog...

Koji is better, but I have to be very careful. I give him probiotics and natural supplements and food enzymes. He eats limited proteins - but I think the best result for Koji is after 2 years, he is now getting allergy shots - and he is much better - but i still have to be careful. He was definitely allergic. I had the intra dermal skin tests done - and at a young age. I too take allergy shots and he and I are allergic to the same things: dust, certain weeds and grasses and leaves, and Koji is allergic to cats and horses LOL go figure. I've given Koji the colloidal silver orally - for up to a week at a time. Since I try so many things - I don't know what is the silver bullet.

Good luck - don't hesitate to drop me a note.
P.S. I have not tried this - but it was recommended to me by a friend who had great success with it - she wrote me: "Try Transfer Factor Canine Complete. And I bought it from 4Life. here is their website. www.4LifeCenter.com
Oh! the price is $45.95."

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service