DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Tori was groomed yesterday and although y groomer did an awesome job with her cut - especailly with the amount of thick matting she had to deal with, she has some raw spots. I asked her not to shave her butt area. She said she would use a scissor cut. But I guess she was so mated there, that she said she had to shave it. She said she used a new top to her razor so it wouldn't irritate her as much... well here goes my question (finally). Tori is so sore that when she pees (she hasn't pooped yet), she sits down to try and soothe it. She just sits around. No jumping or running to us when we come in the room like usual. The top of the underside of her tail by her butt area had to also be shaved. She looks like she has razor bump burn. Is there anything I can put on it to soothe it for her. I feel sooo bad! Do you think it really had to be cut that low? I'm so upset right now....

Views: 117

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry to hear this... I would put Ozonal or Polysporin on it.... it would help soothe the area and also protect against any skin infections.... I know Cagney could use a proper grooming but so far we have been doing it ourselves... it has been a production with the baby fur still needing to be brushed out... Cagney is only 1 yrs last week... I feel for you...
Thanks. I think I have NEOsporin, but will go out and get one of the two mentioned. It's sooo sad. It must really hurt. I know that puppy transition coat is terrible. I really blame myself.. I should have gotten to the groomer sooner, but with the holidays... Never the less ~ "Bad Mommy"! I wonder though what would have been worse this or leaving a little matting to grow out...maybe it doesn't "grow out"??? Thanks for your help!
I don't think they really grow out but they sure do spread and involve bigger areas if you leave them Eventually they pull the skin and are uncomfortable. So snipping out what you can't comb through is helpful.
I feel for you and Cagney... I kept up so well, and suddenly with the snow, it seems like huge mats have set in. I prefer to cut them out, going from skin outward, so sometimes all the hair doesn't have to come out in a big chunk, but it is very time consuming. I can only do one area a night usually. I wonder as well, expecially during a snowy, cold winter, as long as the mats aren't pulling the skin or causing any kind of sores, is it so horrible to leave them in just during this time? Hope someone shares their thoughts on this as well.
Good luck, the antibiotic will help, I have used just a smig and rubbed it in very well, so nothing much there to lick. He usually leaves it alone pretty much (had to shave one year, he got into horrible horrible weeds)
The discomfort could be caused not just from razor burn, but also from the build up of bacteria under the matts. This bacteria causes hot spots and they often need treatment. Having air at the skin is a very important part of the treatment. Some of the behaviour things you are talking about could simply be that it feels very weird to her.

I use a cut/burn homeopathic cream called CALENDULA Gel. This is a people cream, but my vet sells it too. It is not for serious burns or deep cuts, but for minor skin irritations. The active ingredient is Calendula officinalis.
I have the same problem when I take Beckett to be groomed. He sits on the cool grass...or now snow, to try to sooth his butt..lol. Is there anything I can tell the groomer, in their terminology, to get her to not shave as close, etc. I was afraid it was just her going way too close. And I was starting to think about looking for a new groomer.
I don't shave. I just very carefully cut the hair close in that area.
Even though it is so tempting, I no longer shave either. I'm with ABCDE F. Parker on this one.
The best thing I've found for any kind of skin irritation, including hot spots, is Vet's Best, Natural Care Itch Relief Hot Spot Spray. It's ingredients are tea tree oil (natural antibacterial), aloe and chamomile (to soothe).They have it at PetsMart. I started to use this when I had a newfie who got horrible hot spots. You can use it as often as needed and it will heal up the irritation quickly without drug side effects.
Any time you have mats, they can hold moisture on the skin and combined with body heat can become a hot bed of bacterial growth resulting in major skin irritation and sometimes even a bad smell. The best treatment is to cut the hair as close as possible or shave it, then spray several times a day with the Itch Relief Spray.
Hope your baby is feeling better SOOOOON!
Here's a link with product info...
http://www.vetsbest.com/products/dog-topicals.php

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service