DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone,

For the past two summers we have sheared Lexi down like a lamb. She spends most of August by the beach, and she swims daily, which she loves, and the short cut was easy to maintain. But she also has a very low heat tolerance. Even now, walking her at 9:30 AM, she is pant-y and sluggish in the heat. My husband recently read that keeping the coat a little longer actually helps dogs stay cooler. Is this true? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. She's due for a cut, and we'd like her to be as comfortable as possible...

Thanks!

Views: 561

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it's true. The longer coat insulates them against both heat and cold, and does help them stay a bit cooler. But if she spends a lot of time in the water, the shorter cut is going to be much easier to maintain. 

I've read and heard the same thing about keeping their coat longer. I spoke to my vet about it. he said it's a meth keeping it short doesn't keep them cool.

Things I do to keep my guy Crush cool.
I purchased a cooling collar that you can ice in it on Etsy. It works really well.

I also give him crushed ice when we come back from walks or running.

Lastly, I take him to the dog water park or the lake.
I have attached a picture of how I groomed him.

Ps. We live where the average summer high 90s to 100s. He has done good with the heat.
Attachments:

I'm surprised your vet would say it's a myth. If you look it up on any veterinary website, they all say that the coats insulate them against heat and keep them cooler. 

“A dog’s coat is kind of like insulation for your house,” explains Dr. Louise Murray, Vice President of the ASPCA Animal Hospital. “Insulation stops your home from getting too cold in winter, but it also keeps it from overheating in summer—and your dog’s coat does the same thing.”

Dogs’ coats have several layers, and these layers are essential to your dog’s comfort in the heat. Robbing your dog of this natural cooling system can lead to discomfort and overheating. And keeping your dog cool isn’t the only reason to leave his coat intact, Dr. Murray warns. Your dog’s coat prevents your pup from getting sunburn and helps protect her from skin cancer."

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Keep it longer insulated from heat cold sunburns. So, i keep him longer.

LOL, thanks for the clarification. 

Only have your doodle shaved if it's an absolute necessity due to matting.  We had to have our rescue shaved due to matting..now with caring for her coat properly we have never had to do that in the year and a half she's been with us.  I never have mine groomed less than an inch and a half all around.  Belly gets shaved...that's the only shaving.  Peri area also gets cleaned up. If in doubt,  ask your Vet. Fur keeps them warm in the winter...my dogs will lay outside in 5 degree weather without a problem(sometimes I have to drag them in the house :) ) ... and cool in the summer...they do not have sweat glands like humans so they pant to keep themselves cooled. Great advice from all.  Besides, doodles are meant to be furry.  They are so cute with their fur. PS.  Your dood is absolutely adorable!  I almost cried when I had to have Elli shaved...I hated it!

Thank you everyone! This is such great advice. I think I'm going to go with shorter cut because of her passion for swimming, rolling around in the sand, swimming again nonstop play, but not a shear. I love the idea of a cooling collar. My dad wears one in his garden all the time! It makes so much sense! The article is very helpful, too. My husband runs with Lexi in the mornings, and I'm going to make sure he brings a spray bottle or has the collar...

Shari,
I got my cooling collar from this site on Etsy.

You should check out this Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/madebyde

I had her add a pouch to place ice in it.

Attached is a photo of him on a hike with it on.
Attachments:

I have been looking for something like this! Have you noticed a difference? We can barely get around the neighborhood this summer without Lambeau getting hot and sometimes just laying down. Poor guy. I will measure his neck and order today!!

Thank you! That "bling" style is pretty hilarious. Does the ice leak and melt all over the dog? Or does the pack act like a little thermos? I'm trying to tell the difference between the 'ice' collars and the 'gel bead' collars...

I do have Annabelle cut short in the spring with the arrival of ticks. I hate ticks and they are easier to see on shorter hair. She spends most of her summer days catching her frisbee then cooling off in her pool. She will just lay right in it for about 10 minutes, then she is ready to play again. It has been so dry this summer with no rain, that when she runs while wet,she kicks up the dry, dusty dirt making her a dirty mess. So the shorter hair is easier to take care of, since she has to be washed off daily.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service