DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've searched and found various information on this, so this may be a bit redundant.  I have a 5½ month old F1B labradoodle(Cedar).  I have done the some trimming(pads of feet, a little around the eyes and the rear end).  All of this was done with scissors.  She's not a big fan, but I can do it.  She was spayed 2 weeks ago and is back to normal.  The reason for the this post is that I'm getting ready for a trip to the high deserts of SE Oregon and Cedar will be with me.  It's going to be hot and she has a pretty good coat going for her right now(2 week old picture after spay attached).  I saw in one post that there is less problem with matting, if you just religiously comb out the puppy hair before you do a close cut.  I do the combing and brushing every other day & get a quantity of hair out when I do.  I bought all of the equipment for a full groom and use the les pooches brushes as well as some good combs for the combing/brushing.  I would like to know when other doodle owners did the first cut & if waiting until the puppy coat is out will pay dividends in preventing matting.

Views: 121

Replies to This Discussion

Ooops the picture

SO beautiful!  what an amazing photograph, to boot!
Beautiful doodle! Those eyes! Wow!
I just had to comment on how gorgeous she is!  A beautiful picture of her.
I can't help you with the grooming side...my doodle is also 5 1/2 months and I'm getting ready to have her first grooming. I just wanted to comment and say What a Gorgeous doodle!!

We may have broken the rules, but BB is the same age as Cedar (Born Dec 30th). We gave him a shorter 'do around the day after Easter (cant find a good "before") Here's 2 photos of him with his "medium" cut, and then 2 photos from just yesterday. We gave a close shave about 2 weeks ago (its already grown in some). I scissor cut him the first time, then I got a set of clippers for the second time. Its a bit choppy, because he can NOT stand still that long, but we're not perfectionists over here ;-] His "mop top" was just barely trimmed to allow him easier time to see. BB is a little fireball, and seems to be easily bothered by the warm temperatures we've been having, and that is why we shaved him. It is also MUCH easier for us to search for ticks because he's gotten quite a few, and they just too easy to miss in all that black dense fur. Not sure if that answers your question, but at least if you shave him you'll know your not alone ;-]

Some dogs have a harder time going through the coat change than others. Connor my F1 goldendoodle, is red and has a soft wavy fleece coat. Never a matting problem. Ever (he'll be 4 yrs old in the fall). Simon my multi-gen Australian labradoodle is cream/apricot and has a spiral fleece coat. He is my little matty boy! My breeder and his sire's owner both said to get him cut down to 2" at 8 months to prevent matting from the change. His coat was so beautiful, I couldn't bring myself to do it and brushed him every night. Right about 10 months old, I could not keep up with the mats - even brushing/combing every night. That's when he got his first professional haircut. I took him down to about 1 1/2-2". He looked cute as a button and was much easier to take care of. Unless serious matting is a problem, I wouldn't take the coat shorter than that. Simon is now 2 yrs old and the coat change is 90% done. I brush/comb him twice a week and keep his coat around 2-3" long. Not every dog has a matting problem. :-) Since he is an F1B, I'd talk to a trusted groomer or his breeder and get his/her opinion. :-)

BTW, Cedar is beautiful!

Darwin was about 5-6 months old when he had his first cut. We used clippers to shave him down to about 1"
Harpo's first full haircut the beginning of May (10 months old).

Hi Mike...

What a Beautiful Doodle Cedar is!!

You're doing a great job so far...in keeping up with the combing and brushig...and keeping her coat on the shorter side through this time.

This will most likely help you not have to get a shave...and you will be able to stay on top of any matting.

Of course...Barb is the expert...and we've all learned from her...and other more experienced Doodle owners on DK...but...having gone through the coat change with Sasha...I've learned a lot...

Keeping the coat to about 1-1 1/2inches long during this time...line combing/brushing daily (you can find how to do this by a search on DK)...using a product like Cowboy Magic to help prevent matting and help loosen any present mats...Les Pooch brushes or the like help...I also have a Mat Zapper (the red brush which helps with present mats...and...have Lots and Lots of Patience!!  Lol... 

You and Cedar will get through this time...and her adult coat will come in looking Beautiful!!  It can be a very challanging time...but...I found a lot of help and support through DK during this time. 

I didn't belong to DK when Sasha started the "dreaded coat change...lol"...and I wasn't sure what was happening to her beautiful coat??!!

Thankfully...I found DK...Lot's of informations and help...and we both got through this time!

With my next Dood...I have not doubt it will be a much easier time during the coat change.

Knowledge Is A Great Thing!!

Wishing you the very best of luck...

I'll have to look into the mat zapper.  I've decided not to try clippers just yet.  Cedar is still young.  I was thinking of the heat where I will be going, but will take plenty of water.  It may slow her down as she is a dynamo, but it's just the puppy stage & she's learning her manners.  I've scissored under her ears & other critical places, but haven't touched the thick coat on the back..  I want to thank everyone for the comments.  I'm still learning.  All of my dogs before have been "shedders" with very little clipping necessary.  Cedar will be a new experience.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service