DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

If you are wondering how to use up all that parsley and dill left in your garden (or from bunches that you buy), here's something we do every year! Cut bunches of each, wash the dirt off and let dry. 

Make small bunches using both the parsley and dill (or keep it all parsley or all dill if that is what you will use) and wrap each in plastic wrap.Then store all in a zip lock freezer bag and freeze.

I add this to the chicken soup I make all winter long and it is soo good! I chop up the leafy parts and tender stems and add to the pot. I also add the thicker stems and roots, because Grandma always said it adds flavor too, then pick those thick pieces out when the soup is done. This will take us through to spring when we plant again!

Enjoy!

***  I should note that something ate my parsley this year and so the pictured parsley is courtesy of Mom's garden.  ***

Views: 197

Replies to This Discussion

I usually freeze some parsley too. But those black swallowtail caterpillars ate mine . But I also freeze some parsley and dill when I buy them since there's always leftovers. Of corse I'm not as organized as you so I just cut off pieces of the frozen lumps before I throw them in the pot : )

Those caterpillars were hungry this year! Your method works too!!

I use dill in chicken soup, too. It's also wonderful in cottage cheese and all kinds of spreads and dips, excellent on roasted carrots and of course, new potatoes. 

The Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillars like dill, parsley, and fennel. 

Karen, maybe it's because I was brought up on cooking with a lot of dill, but we love it too! Just last night we had mashed potatoes with dill and scallion tops sliced thin and added, OMD!

Yummm!

Yum!  Right now it is pretty chilly out.  Having hot chicken soup with dill and/or parsley added sounds great!  Thank you for the post...the picture is really pretty!

Thanks Lauria!

Love this idea.....I always end up wasting half of my store bought bunch. Planters going being built soon and ready to plant......any ideas for a novice?

I just checked to see where you live because the season is just ending here in NJ! I'm guessing you can still plant outside by you? Lucky you!! You can buy small plants or start from seed. I would just get quality garden soil, once you plant, water when the top inch or so of soil feels dry, plenty of sun but not to the point where the plants looks stressed. You need drainage holes in a planter, make sure there are holes in the bottom for excess water to drain out or you can put a layer of rocks on the bottom of the container to help with drainage. Good luck, would love to see photos!
I can send you dill seeds from the dried seed head that I got from my plants, just let me know!

great idea!  I also freeze my basil well dried and spread out on a cookie sheet and then put it in a ziplock. That way it does not stick together.  

Good idea! I still have basil in my garden, but I'll be trying this once the weather finally gets too cold for it!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service