DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ok, part of me is just curious about people's preferences, and the other part of me is actually questioning. How do you keep your doodle groomed? Do you cut his hair? If so, do you do this year round or only during the summer? If you keep it long, how do you keep it from matting? Is there a special brush you use? Also, if you have it cut (and a groomer does it) is there a special style you request or do you just want it short?

What about bathing? Do you bathe your doodle or have a groomer do it for you? What kind of shampoo / conditioner do you use? Does your doodle have sensitive skin and therefore need special bathing products?

As for me, I have a groomer cut Cody's hair about twice a year, each during the summer. I let his hair grow out in the winter, but I'm having the worst time with brushing him out. I'm using a slicker brush now, but it's effectiveness is diminishing as his hair gets longer. Cody's skin is slightly sensitive, so I use Earthbath shampoo (Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil), but when he goes to the groomer I simply request the oatmeal shampoo.

So what do the rest of you doo for your doodles?

Views: 91

Replies to This Discussion

My most important advice (and you can check out my other discussion on the forum about this b/c it is quite lengthy) is to get a Les Poocjes brush! We use to get Noel groomed every 4 months or so b/c she got so matted and I couldn't even really bath her b/c that just made the matttes worse! Now that I have this brush, I am able to keep her longer like we like her and bath her. After her bath, I put in some Mane and Tail leave in conditioner (I also have some Cowboy Magic that I also kie to use) and let her air dry and she is gorgeous. The brush is really great for maintaining the longer hair and she loves it - she used to hate her other slicker, but this ones seems more gentle. She looks so cute right now - her hair is probably 5 inches long - very doodly! I have even gotten out the trimmer and trimmed up her belly, under her arms (which still get matted and are hard to get to) and her privates! I feel like we may be able to avoid the groomer for a while. I may just get braver as I go here and just keep trimmin her as I go - she's close to needing a trim above her eyes...
Where might I find these Les Pooches brushes? Are they available in pet stores, or only online?
doodlecountry.com - email Kemp and send pictures and he can recommend which brush is best - he is great! It will be the best money you ever spend - believe me!
Do you know which brush did you purchase? There are many different kinds on the website. Thanks! Kate Beck
Hi. You and I may have met at the Doodle Romp at the Dude Ranch. I also have asked grooming questions but am SO bad on the computer that I can't find the questions and answers. I read your post and thought I'd write back............as we seem to feel the same way and would love your advice. Zakie is 8 months old and we have not had her groomed yet. We have cut around her face. She is developing mats................despite our daily brushing (We did not do this in the beginning.). We really like her longer hair. Do you think we could take her to someone and have the mats taken care of...............a slight trim.............and then maybe get that "Les Poocjes" brush and take it from there? Where do you get that brush? Thanks for any and all advice and suggestions! Cary Milley
Hi Cary! You could probably find a groomer that would take the time to brush out every single matt, but you have to look hard. I was in NC for awhile and I found a fantastic groomer there. I'm still trying to find one of the same caliber up here. Most just look at me and tell me I should have him cut. That being said, we did eventually trim him. Actually, we shaved him. He was soooo hot with such long hair, and he's so much happier now. It even made him cuddle more (although that may have been because he was cold at first).

As for the Les Pooches brush, I've heard mixed reviews on that. I've heard plenty of good things, but I've also heard that they break a little too easy and they don't do the best job. After looking at the price (around $70) I decided it just wasn't worth it. I do, however, have a matt breaker (it looks like a giant set of claws) and a slicker brush. Those seemed to really help. All in all, you have to be prepared to brush for at least an hour a day, possibly twice a day. You also have to keep an eye out and make sure Zakie doesn't overheat (especially this time of year). Then, of course, watch out for mud piles and any other dirty areas. Those are a nightmare!

If you do have her trimmed, know that a groomer can only go so long. It's not like people's hair. You can't say, "Oh just take off about a 1/4 inch. I'm just here for maintenance." God, I wish that were the case, but it's not. That being said, you should also be very clear that you do NOT want her shaved. There is such thing as a doodle cut and most groomers know what that is, but you can also be specific. Decide what you want, exactly, and try to be as clear as possible when explaining that to the groomer. Ok, I hope that helps!
Wow... so many questions...where to start...where to start?? I guess first off I will tell you that I groom and bath Stella myself and I think I pretty much just wing it as far as the cutting goes. She is a little over a year old and I have groomed her 3 times. She is rather long right now since it is winter and I am trying to wait til at least next month to groom again. I do not use any special brushes but I have started using the matting comb and it works pretty well. I keep hearing about the Les Pooches brushes and I am going to get it after Lynn's comments on it. I personally like the longer look but it is so much work so I usually go with her shorter. I like to use Buddy Wash. There is shampoo and conditioner and it smells soooo good and it last a very long time. She doesn't seem to have any skin issues....thank God and knock on wood so she is pretty low maintenance.
Another thing that I might add is the ear hair. I did not want to mess with her ears but after her first ear infection I started pulling the hair from her ears. In thinking about doing this I was so worried that it would be painful. But after getting some advise I got the ear powder and it came out with ease and she really doesn't mind it at all.
Belinda, what kind of ear powder did you buy and where did you get it? Thanks,Tam
I will have to check the name when I get home. It was just a small plastic bottle that I got at PetSmart. It was part of a 3 step thing. The ear powder, ear wash and something else??? But you buy it all separate. I don't use the other parts.
In the 11 months that Dixie and I have been together, he has had 6 full baths; 2 at Petco in Spokane, 2 at Petsmart on Broad in Richmond, and 2 home baths. Dixie has been pro-groomed 3 times - not cheap. I do the occasional trimming around the eyes, ears, and beard. The cost of a pro wash & dry is over $30 (add another $20 to $30 for haircut). The less than satisfactory results and flooding caused by home baths has me seeking a new approach. An acquaintance at the Hanover Dog Park gave me a card for CritterTown BathHouse in the Stratford Hills Shopping Center. It is a self service pet wash & dry facility. I plan to take Dixie Max there before the Carytown walk and will report back. I've also read good reviews of the M2Pets Jet Washer but will wait for warm weather to possibly try it.

I don't know anything about these but here's the link: http://www.lespoochs.com/BRUSHES.asp

Even if I do Dixie's bath at home or self-service place, I'm still terrified of clipping nails - I've read the Pet Trimmer is useless but using a Dremel would probably be as much fun as trying to dry Dixie with a blow dryer - IMPOSSIBLE!

Ears and eyes could be a topic all by themselves. Dixie has had infections in both. I haven't heard about ear powder. What's that? What about doodle eye "boogers" ? Does wiping their eyes lead to infections?
Yeah, Dad took Cody to Critter Town Bathhouse over Christmas and said he loved it. I still haven't tried it myself, but if the water pressure's better than at my house I may have to consider it.

As far as nails are concerned, they sound a lot scarier to clip than they actually are. Cody runs around so much that I've only had to clip his once since I got him (they wear themselves down), but I've had to clip lots of other nails. The dog typically doesn't enjoy it, so it may be easier if you have a second person to help. After a few times, though, the dog will typically start to get used to it. Just make sure you give Dixie lots of treats!

And for the ear powder, it's really just a powder that helps you to grip the hair. If you get powdered surgical gloves, they'll do the same thing. Don't worry about it hurting them. Most dogs (especially doodles) have a high pain tolerance, so it shouldn't be too bad...again, not enjoyable, but also not torture.
Hello,
There are so many items on the table here I think most of it is like Belinda said personal preference.
Mr. Jigs has been groomed since he was a puppy he gets hair cut summer and winter ever 5 weeks
I like the puppy look so I keep his hair short easy to maintain as well as keeping him fresh.
The groomer I use is A Dog's and Cat's World, Brenda and team are the best they keep Mr. Jigs
looking great from his toe nails to his ears I should add as sick as my dog was when he was a puppy
he has knock on wood been blessed and not had any ear infections I feel it's partly due to his regular
scheduled grooming. I still brush Mr. Jigs daily but with regular grooming it's easier on the dog and faster
and it seems to agree with him I do one bath about 2 weeks after grooming and he is so good it would blow you away
Thanks for letting me share what works for us.
Steve

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service