DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We are now ten days post surgery and we have been back to visit the vets twice in the last three days. Boris was due to have his stitches out today. He has 15 staples on each shoulder. On Christmas eve I noticed the right shoulder had swelling around the stitches and clear liquid was seeping from the wound. I felt around and there was no pain, the liquid was clear so that was a good sign in a worrying situation. I called the vet hospital and they asked me to bring Boris in at 9 am on Boxing Day or if I was worried later in the day to bring him straight in. I spent Christmas day worrying and cooking......Boxing day we arrived at the hospital and were seen by the Professor and two recent Vet Graduates who it seemed knew Boris and he was more than happy to see them!  Once it was clear that there was no infection there was a debate as to whether to keep him in and put in a drain or treat conservatively. It was decided to remove a couple of the stitches there and then so that's what was done. I helped them to hold him and he was very good, the Professor was very quick and kind but the wound then opened up pretty much completely.  We could see that it's only the layer of skin that isn't healing and there is a gap. The decision was to staple it up again but to leave a small gap so the fluid could drain itself. We were happy to bring Boris home and we were asked to bring him back on Monday, or if needed any time. Fast forward to this morning.  I checked the wound at 9am and it was fine, draining but still together. One hour later and two of the staples were loosened and there was a big  gap. I decided to call my own vet and see if he could re staple the wound so we wouldn't have to go all the way back to the hospital. We went half an hour later and John our vet was wonderful. He re stapled the wound (again Boris was really good, no distress) He explained that the wound edges were not coming together and that they may need some intervention in order to allow them to attach to each other and to expect Boris to be kept in on Monday and to bring him in fasting. I might add that he wouldn't take any money for the visit. I am very stressed by the whole thing and just want the wound on the right side to heal and the stitches on both sides to come out. Boris is moving around really well. He is on Rimadyl and an Antibiotic plus Probiotics

*UPDATE* 

Several good DK friends said some powerful prayers and yesterday was the first day there was no leakage from the right sided wound so I am sure they are working.  Today we went back to the hospital and they removed the stitches on the left side and agreed that there is huge improvement and that hopefully with no more complications the stitches on the right side can come out in seven days. There is still some minor swelling but it may well get absorbed internally which is what I am hoping for.  Then we can start the rehabilitation proper and the hydrotherapy pool will be on the list. Riley is getting a little bored that his BF can't play and I've seen him pick up a ball and throw it over Boris while he is sleeping a few times now! I am very relieved things are starting to move in the right direction at last.

Views: 183

Replies to This Discussion

Nicky, I am sorry to hear of the complication and hope healing progresses.

Hi F :) I'm sure it will be fine but this is frustrating and worrying at the same time. Keeping Boris quiet is the main issue. He is really being very good but he is a high energy puppy and it was visitors arriving that I think caused the problem even though he was in his crate. We have banned all visitors for now until this is sorted and one of us is staying in at all times.

Whew, not easy but worthwhile in the end.

Have the Vets talked about potentially giving him a sedative?  When Murph first when on his meds he was totally low key for a week....didn't react to anything and slept most of the time. 

I did mention this to one of the young vets but she said the Professor she was sure would be against it. I will see what they say on Monday and I feel they may well keep him in. I will ask though because I'm pretty sure a few days being sleepy would do the trick!

Nicky, I hope and pray that Boris heals completely and with no more complications. I am sure this will be a very long weekend for you to wait to see the surgeon. Your vet sounds wonderful!

Oh Nicky, I know how difficult this is for you and Boris.  I'm so sorry.....

Boris is in bed now. Note the scratches at the foot board. That was Riley lol
Attachments:

Such a sweet boy. I love the little sweater to keep him from getting at the stitches. He looks like he's wearing a tux. 

Nicky, I'm sorry this is so difficult and a constant worry.  I'm sure banning visitors will help, but it would be nice if the vet could give you something to keep him, not sedated, but sleepy.  Sending you hugs and hope that the healing progresses more quickly.  The care he's receiving sounds first rate, and he looks so sweet in his sweater.   Hang in there!

Nicky, I'm so sorry to hear of Boris' complications, and I know how nerve wracking it must be, wanting to put this all behind you and have Boris well again. What a wonderful vet you have, and it sounds like all the vets are doing everything they can under the circumstances. Sending best wishes your way for Boris' speedy recovery (btw, he looks adorably sweet sleeping in his fancy little jacket).

Sorry for this complication - hoping for the very best results on Monday.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service