DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am starting to brush Agnes' teeth daily, as recommended by our vet. She has some plaque buildup that we don't want to get worse (she's only 10 months old). Any recommendations about techniques or tools? She does not seem to like it at all, especially when I try to get to the teeth in the back. Any advise would be great. Thanks!

Views: 72

Replies to This Discussion

Are you using a brush or one of those things that fits over your finger? The finger thingies are easier to use on the back teeth. Not that they like that, either.
I have both. Today I tried the longer brush, but I will try the finger brush tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Another silly question: Is the paste supposed to lather up like when humans brush their teeth? I only used a pea-sized amount of paste and it didn't seem to be lathering at all... Agnes mostly wanted to just lick and eat the paste.
No, ours doesn't lather, either. I don't think it contains foaming agents or whatever it is that's in our toothpaste. They're plain pastes that taste like liver, mostly.
Ok, good to know. Thanks!
I haven't tried brushing yet but want to get started after I get Gracie's teeth cleaned. My groomer has a person who comes to the shop when she has enough dogs signed up and they do "holistic" cleaning...whatever that is. They don't put them out so it should be interesting. It costs $100 rather than the $400 plus at the vet. I am on the list for February. Gracie has gorgeous white teeth but I am seeing plaque in the gum line and also staining behind the bottom teeth. Interesting since she only eats kibble and dried chicken jerkey!

Important thing to remember though: I got the Cesar's Way magazine and they have a list of "no nos" for dogs. One is human tooth paste!!! Don't use it on your Doodle!
I've come to the conclusion that a dog's having plaque issues depends on genetics and on how much they chew. Eating kibble as opposed to soft food doesn't help, according to the experts.
My miniature poodle, a breed notorious for having problems with plaque, decay, etc., never had her teeth cleaned her entire life...which was 15 yrs, 8 months. I never brushed them once. She ate kibble. But she chewed rawhides & bones like nothing you've ever seen. I know rawhides are supposed to be bad for them, but she had no problems. She would take one of those huge braided rawhides and actually unbraid it in about 20 minutes. A vet who met her at 9 years old told me i was doing a great job brushing her teeth- LOL. When she died, her teeth were still tartar free and shining white, firmly attached, with no gum disease. I really believe the rawhides, bones, and the fact that her sire was the #1 ranked miniature poodle in the U.S. and Canada, are what did it.
Jack doesn't have good teeth and doesn't chew much. The groomer will brush their teeth for $5, so we do that once a month and I do it at home in between. He hates it.
I agree with you Karen. My first cockapoo lived 15 years and had one teeth cleaning as he had to go under anyway, around the age of 5. He chewed on those chippy rawhides his whole life and I rarely brushed his teeth. They were all intact and pretty white, the vet even said some dogs do genetically have great teeth....

Buddy's are soft and chip really easily, I was shocked, so I have to be careful of the hardness of the chews I give him. Kona's are hard as little rocks, but she also calcifies pretty quickly. I use Petzlife spray and tooth gel, it works wonderful, I also use a tooth scrapper to scrape off the lossened bits of tartar that the Petzlife makes really crumbly. I love it, and it makes their breath smell great too.
That spray/gel sounds pretty cool. I'll have to see if I can get some of that, as well. Thanks for the help guys!
I used the finger brush today. It seemed to work much better, and I could get into the back of her mouth with more success. Yay!

Any thoughts on the "Greenies" that supposedly help clean teeth?
There was some contraversy regarding the greenies - i don't remember exactly what it is.
Thanks! I thought I remembered them being questionable.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service