DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm starting to think I made a mistake in getting Toby.  He's a sweet little lamb, feisty and bouncy, as are more puppies, but my sweet docile Angel has been getting more and more aggressive it seems, especially concerning anything tasty; I've also noticed her aggression peaks during days when I may have spent more attention on Toby than on Angel.  

I know these issues take time to work out, so I've tried ignoring it, and when it continued, I tried being right there and correcting her, which works well enough, except that I can't be there at all times.  When I'm not there, either my mom is or Toby is in his crate.  But today, Toby was with my mom and Angel was loose around them.  Everything was well, so I thought it safe to use the loo.  I swear, Angel waited for the precise time of my going potty to plan her attack on Toby.  She traumatized the poor dear!  And I had to pry her jaws apart.  Understandably my mom freaked out, screaming and crying, and Toby was shaking and whimpering (but unhurt, thank God).  

I don't know what to do.  Is it time to seek out a behaviorist?  Should I allow for more time?  Is there a method to either predict or prevent her behavior?  Up until now, while she's been possessive, they've gotten on well, playing and rough-housing, so an unprovoked attack (because there was nothing on the floor or even near Toby to trigger it) tips my perception of events from typical dog behaviors (they'll work it out) to that of something more problematic.

Thank you to all who have suggestions.  

Views: 21

Replies to This Discussion

How old are both dogs? Is angel a breeding female or has she been spayed? How long have you had Toby? Are they F1's or Multigens? Prying the jaws apart did not have a good sound to it - either for Toby or potentially for your fingers! I'm glad everyone's alright, I think maybe your thought about a behaviorist is a good one. I'm sorry - it sounds like you love both dogs and it's disturbing when something like this happens. - Amy
Do you make Angel share her toys? Her food bowl? Her bed or anything else with Toby? When we first brought Sandy home Cali would not let her go into the kitchen. She would growl and Sandy would just plop right over on her back. We separated their food and water and Sandy was not allowed to have any of Cali's toys. We put Sandy in a crate whenever no one was around to supervise play. It did get better after a few weeks. I let them works things out themselves to a certain extent. If Cali was getting to rough, I just said 'ENOUGH" and then Cali would back off. Maybe you could teach Angel that command?

I think Cali was def. jealous of all the time I had to spend taking Sandy outside to go potty. I just made sure that I still did the same things I used to do with Cali before Sandy came home. So I would put Sandy in her crate and take Cali to an open field and play ball. Maybe you could try to something fun just with Angel everyday?

It took a few weeks, but now they share toys and their food bowls are right next to each other. They play together so well....it's hard to imagine that Cali hated her when she first arrived!

I'm no expert but I hope this helps a little! :)
You didn't say, but did Angel just seek Toby out and charge at him, or was she responding to something Toby was doing in her space that she didn't like? Unless Angel is actively seeking him out, and charging at him, it may be natural dominance/submissive pecking order behavior, and will sort itself out over time. Here's why I say this:
When I had my bosses male lab 12 week old puppy in my home for a few days I experienced what I thought were some frightening moments between this puppy and my older male doodle who made it clear immediately that he wasn't happy about this new addition to our household. Every time the puppy would get into Kach's space(our male doodle), Kachi would growl and snap at him (the puppy). My response was always to correct Kachi for his behavior. I had the opportunity to talk to a dog behaviorist a couple of days into the puppy's visit and she pointed out something I was doing that was making the situation worse. She told me that I should be reprimanding the puppy for its behavior, not Kachi. What Kachi was doing, by growling and snapping at the puppy, was telling him that he is the boss, and that he is the one that calls the shots. There is no such thing as equals in the dog world. Somebody has to the leader, and somebody is the follower. The behaviorist then said that by me reprimanding Kachi for showing his dominance, I was, in fact, probably confusing the puppy, and making him think that perhaps, HE should be the boss, thereby making the puppy act even more dominant, and pushing the boundries with Kachi even more. It made a lot of sense to me, so I stopped correcting Kachi, (and I just stayed close by, just in case -) letting Kachi dictate the terms of the relationship. It worked almost immediately. Puppy learned his role. And Kachi pretty much just ignored him.
I would think that with an adult female, and a male puppy, this jockeying for top position could get tough. Males sometimes tend to be more naturally dominant, and puppies, in general, simply don't have the brain power to know when to back off. This little guy at our house,so so wanted to be friends and play with Kachi. So much so that he just kept getting in Kachi's face, and Kachi kept telling him to back off. I'm sure if the puppy had been with us for a little longer, he and Kachi would have ended up friends, because even though Kachi showed no interest in buddying up with him during the few days he was at our home, he did end up showing a real paternal interest in him. At one point the puppy started to whimper about something, and Kachi jumped up and ran to his side,and nudged him with his nose as if to say, "Hey little guy, it's ok." It was cute.
I'm so sorry this is soo long!
Liked your comment, "There is no such thing as equals in the dog world." So true. Let them work it out unless someone is in danger of getting hurt and then just remove the endangered dog from that environment. They will work it out. Good post and something we all need to remember.
I honestly think they will work it out too. Taquito bit Peri the first week or so she was home. He is definitely the dominant dog in the family - always will be. he can still growl at Peri and she backs down - one time she even fell of the couch to get away from him. I simply didn't show much concern.
Angel is much bigger than Toby so I am sure it freaks you out when she puts her mouth on him. If she does it again, can you try saying "leave it" or "drop it" instead of a big NO and then phsyically pulling Angel's jaws off of him? That can just be plain dangerous and might make her clench even more.
Oh and I also think Angel is very jealous right now and is probably a little emotional about the new addition. Give it another week or so for them to work it out. I cried the first week or two when Peri came home - I thought T. hated me. It all changed rather quickly.
Hey Krista, how has it been going over these last few weeks? Keep us updated, we're curious, thanks!
I'm also curious. My dogs are both neutered males, but it was obvious from the start that Groucho Too would be the dominant dog. Hondo was three years old when we got Groucho. Hondo did correct him occasionally, but Groucho Too is the dominant dog and Hondo is happy to let him have that role. It may be a little more confusing in the roles if the female wants to be dominant but I bet that will work out too. My dogs have always had their food separately (one indoors and the other outdoors) but they can get treats at the same time. Have your dogs worked it out?
Hey! Thanks for thinking on this further! The two are getting along better, but it's still not absolute roses. I still don't feel safe giving Toby a bone or long-lasting chew while Angel is around or giving Angel a chew that Toby might get curious about. But I think even that's getting better. Toby is great at uncovering the seemingly hundreds of bones and chews that Angel has buried either within the house or in the yard. I've discovered him chewing something an occasion or two, and even tested Angel around him chewing them. She seemed ok mostly. But if she's irritated she'll bite his head off. Almost literally. Thankfully, that hasn't happened too often anymore. And I can always stop it in time...

I think it'll be ok. They do love to play with each other, especially in the mornings and evenings. And the afternoons once they've both woken from their naps.

Thanks again for asking! I appreciate it! :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service