DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm hoping y'all can help. I recently landscaped my backyard...it's pretty large...I have four large flower beds. I did my research and I have all non toxic plants (not easy btw! Everything is "supposed" to be poisonous) but Finley has destroyed everything but my hardy shrubs (and even some of those have some wear and tear from the mister). Any suggestions from y'all on hardy (doodle proof) and non toxic plants? I can't put anything with any toxicity out because he eats everything! (I'm sure that doesn't sunrise any of you, ha).

Thanks!

Views: 165

Replies to This Discussion

Penny was interested in some of my indoor plants so I introduced her to tabasco. Dogs HATE tabasco, even the smell. Several drops on leaves & she has not touched them again. Just the sight of the bottle will send her the other direction. There are outdoor deterrents for animals, might be worth checking if they are okay for dogs too. I am worried when she can get to my stepable rock garden - hope she leaves it alone.
Not a bad idea, thanks! Maybe I can mix tobacco and water into a spray bottle and cover the plants. I'm trying it!
I bought bitter apple by the gallon and sprayed it on the plants. Maxwell still ate them! I will try the Tabasco!
Lol, isn't it funny (not really!) how determined they are?! Nothing stops them...you'd think the thorns on the rose bushes would deter him but nope, he just goes right after them anyway! The little mister (Finley) almost got returned this morning (kidding!).

Lord.....as an avid gardener, I am right there with you.  Lately Lupin has taken to laying on my spiderwort which really ticks me off.  She has also destroyed our first attempt at a vegetable garden and whatever survived is coming up wherever it was able to take root.  I figure, if she eats anything she shouldn't it will (likely) only happen once.  Nothing in our yard is deadly and really, not many plants are deadly at first chomp.  That being said, you gotta watch 'em!  :-) Perhaps you could plant a bunch of barley grass specifically for your pup so he chews on that rather than your garden plants.  I planted a pot with barley grass and Lupin loves it.  Its a start anyway.

I am pretty proud of my landscaping and have spend years getting it to this point where is looks good and then  someone gets the bright idea to get a puppy.  We got him in the winter so tearing up the plants didn't bother me too much because, it was winter and nothing was blooming.  It didn't take long to realize he was going to get into what he shouldn't, eat what was poisonous and destroy all of my hard work. 

So, we bought the metal puppy yard and opened it up to make a fenced off area that is all his with a patch of grass and a little room to roam safely.  We actually ended up getting two of the play yards to make an even bigger space for him.  But, now my plants are safe and I don't have to worry when I let him out that he will eat something toxic. He still manages to come in with a chunk of grass in his mouth but that's ok, my flowers are safe.

LOL!  Trust me, I know the feeling.  I literally landscaped my entire backyard only two months before Finley got here.  Everyone kept telling me that it was wasted effort but I had no clue what I was in for and thought "I can keep my dog from eating and destroying plants, how hard could that be?".  Well, we all know the answer to that question.  :)  I was dumb and niave.  :)

I'm glad you found a solution, all those years of hard work destroyed so fast is no fun!  I love hanging out in the backyard with both my dogs and playing ball and soccer so that's not an option for me but I think I am going to be doing a lot of research on "hardy" and non-poisonus plants for next season. 

I had not thought of Barley grass, great idea!  That Lupin sounds like a lot of fun (and mischief!).  My Finley is the exact same.  :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service