DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all!

Cisco is now 11.5 weeks and has, in general, been doing great and is super sweet, although he has picked up some sort of pesky habit over the weekend. I brought him to the beach for the first time, and I think he was nervous about the waves or something and started jumping up and biting at my pant legs and wouldn't stop -- and at times he would bite through to my legs which hurt (ouch!). Finally, when we left the beach, he calmed down and returned to his normal self.

But now, he has had two episodes like this again -- so I think he has discovered a behavior that he thinks is fun (just for him :) ). When he gets overly excited, he just keeps jumping up and biting hard. I tried to just ignore him, but it's hard to ignore when he is biting. Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I try a time out so he calms down?

Thanks!! Kim 

Views: 246

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kim, My Murfee is the same age and started that habit early on. It was very frustrating. I was mentioning this to my neighbor who just happens to be a dog trainer. This is what he suggested. "When a dog grabs your pant leg, stop and turn around. Your leg will naturally push the pup off. You may have to do it a couple of times, but I promise it works. Murf does this now about once a week when he is really excited. It only takes one push and he moves on. We are just mimicking what his pack would do, telling him that is bad behavior.   Good luck,and let me know if it works for you.

Hi ... Oh, I feel for ya! My Toby from 8 weeks old he would bite my pant legs. It was a constant battle I tried everything under the sun and even put him in puppy classes. Nothing would stop him. I have many pants that look like swiss cheese. Now to give you hope, Toby is now 7 months old and he grew out of it around 4/5 months. We tried, squirt bottles, holding mouth telling him no bite, time out on a leash behind a door, spraying our pants with bitter apple spray. I would try spaying the pants with the bitter apple spray that seemed to work the best and correct him with a no bite, but it was constant with the spray. Good luck and I hope you find a method that works for you ....

I'm having the same problems.  My 10 week puppy Sophie will get behind me and jump up and bite me in the leg.  She has gotten her teeth stuck in my jeans and has snagged them.  She is also lunging at me when I sit on the sofa.  She jumps up and I say 'down' and push her down.  Unfortunately, that only excites her more.  When my husband says 'down' - she gets down.  I try to be stern, but she doesn't listen to me.  I cannot wait until she gets all of her shots and can go to obedience school!  I'm so tired of puppy bites on the hands, arms and now the lunging and biting on my pants!  SIGH.

Clara also listens to my husband and ignores me. I feel better reading these posts knowing its part of the breed.

OMG - Sophie listens to my husband and ignores me too!  In fact, she gets more riled up when I say 'no bite'.  My jeans have snags, my sweaters have snags, and my hands have scratches and bite marks.  She jumps up on my from behind when I'm trying to get her to go potty.  She is 10 weeks old!  

Thanks everyone -- I will try these tips. It definitely happens when he gets overly excited (normally after he chases the cat or something). I think he doesn't know what to do with his excitement. I'll let you know what works for me!! 

My puppy is 8:wks old and my arms look like Ive falling in a rose bush. Clara also bites my pants and feet. Ive tried no bites and welping to ignoring her. I try to distract her with a chew toy and she usually ends up getting my arm. At times shes very aggressive and I wonder if shes trying to be the dominant female. I worry as she gets bigger at how well Ill be able to handle her.

I have been having this problem with Zoe since we brought her home at 9 weeks. It was not so bad when she was smaller, but now that she is 15 weeks and 18 lbs, it's a different story. I was aware that from Day 1, any undesirable behavior must not be encouraged/accepted/tolerated just because she was a puppy and it was "cute." I even started Zoe in a puppy kindergarten class and everything.

None of my efforts seem to matter. Her nipping and jumping at pants/legs is growing intolerable. Just this morning, she jumped up and got my husband's suit pant leg so badly that they tore. He was furious and I'm really hoping that she is still home when I get back from work! (Only semi-kidding)

I've tried ignoring, redirecting into a sit, loud noises, timeout, etc. but really all that makes it stop is something else catching her attention (e.g. bully stick or playing with another dog). I am also pretty sure she does it just because she thinks it's fun and a way to try and get my attention.

I may have to bring out the bitter apple spray and try that tip.

I keep waiting for this magic moment to occur when she stops doing all of these very annoying things. Everyone keeps saying, be patient, it will stop. Crossing my fingers!

I think immediately turning around and crossing your arms is good. But also, you can try gently kneeing your pup in the chest area just to let them know that the behavior isn't acceptable. Often dogs take your attention as a response even though it is negative. "Oh this is a fun game." One thing I have learned is an uh uh or uh oh sounds similar to the mother's correction. Sadie seems to know that when I use that tone of voice that the behavior isn't acceptable. Also you can begin teaching your dog "leave it" when leash walking which indicates to the dog that they need to leave whatever they are interested in alone. Of course treats are good positive reenforcement. 

Thanks everyone!! I think we are getting somewhere... I've been saying "no" and then trying to get him to sit, and then praising him when he sits. Which seems to work (I think?? :) ). Sometimes ignoring works also, so long as he isn't biting at me (which is hard to ignore!!). thanks for the thoughts!

Thank goodness I am not the only one with this problem! I actually did some research on this topic and what I read was that this is "attention seeking biting". They are wanting your attention and to play. I try and redirect Finley when he does this and all his biting and give him immediately a chew toy to chew (instead of me). He still bites but I'm hoping he eventually gets the idea. :0). When he gets overly tired I also notice that his biting (along with growling) gets significantly more aggressive...this is when I know he's ready for some time out in his crate...he usually falls right to sleep. ;0)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service