DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I spend half my day chasing Finley in the backyard. He is constantly picking things up outside that he can't have (sticks, bark, leaves) and when I go to get it from him he runs from me and we spend the next ten minutes playing chase (unwillingly on my part). I think he thinks its a game and I don't know how to not make it one. I'm worried he's going to chew the stick or mulch so I try to get it out of his mouth as quickly as I can. Does anyone have a better solution? I've started taking treats outside with me because most of the time he will drop what he has in his mouth for a treat but I don't want this to be ongoing behavior. Has anyone else death with the same thing?

We start puppy class in a week and a half so I'm hiking that will help too.

Views: 294

Replies to This Discussion

I think two puppies would be REALLY difficult but it might not be as hard as I think.  Those that have two puppies at a time will have to chime in with their experiences.  I just know how much energy and time Finley takes, I cannot imagine two but it might be similar to one?  (Somehow I doubt it though). 

Your friend might be on to something though...having another dog does help tremendously.  I'm obviously not dealing with the puppy phase with my older dog so that's made it easier but she has been great to help wear Finley out.  Don't shoot the messenger (ha) but you might want to consider another one for yours to play with.  :) 

Thanks guys, I really appreciate ya'lls feedback and experiences.  The reason that Finley came into our lives is that I lost very suddenly one of my cocker spaniels at only six due to liver failure, so after that devastating experience I think I might be a little neurotic about everything when it comes to Finley and Ellie (my other dog, a cocker spaniel).  Ya'll have really helped ease some of my fears about things getting into his mouth...you're right, they are dogs and unless they live in a bubble (which would be no fun for them or me!) they are going to put things in their mouths! 

I've been doing the "show me" command this morning and it seems to be working...I do however, think I might need to get some smaller training treats because right now Finley is sitting quite fat and happy in his crate with a tummy full of treats after his morning of about eight "show me" commands.  Ha.  :) 

Thanks again for all your comments! 

LOL!! quite a cute story..

i am certainly no expert here!! but one of the things DD does very well is react most quickly to is her "come" command. She also gets a treat..i always use Zukes and mix the flavors together so as not to get to boring. They are only 3 calories each. "Come" might help you and then your "show me" 

In general if you move towards a dog (such as chasing after it), the dog will move away from you.  If you want the dog to move towards you, you have to move away from you.  Of course you also have to be more interesting that whatever else is competing for his attention.  That's where the treats come in - but you can also do it by moving around, jumping, making noises and just generally being the most important thing in that dog's world.  And squeaky balls and other toys are great too.

Also coming is such an important skill - it can save the dog's life, even.  So I say start working on that from day 1.  Even before you put it on a verbal cue, there are all sorts of things you can do to get the dog used to going away and then coming back to you.  I will sometimes sit on the floor with a handful of food, and toss a piece away for the dog to eat and then have her eat one out of my hand, just to get her used to that concept.  Also many doodles will naturally want to retrieve an object that you throw. 

I got so tired of chasing Auggie around the yard, he even figured out how to crawl under the shop and chase the poor cat. We got a pet yard, one of the metal ones, opened it up and made it into a barrier.  Auggie has a small fenced off area where he can poop and walk around but can't get into anything . We had to remove my Heavenly Bambo, the one plant left and he was tearing it up so now he has a pile of boulders where there once was greenery lol.  With too much space they can really get into mischief.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service