DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Albee is only 8 weeks old and I'm needing some advice! 

He's pretty well behaved, as far as a puppy is concerned, but he goes into overdrive after his meals. 

He nips, mouths, and lunges much more than normal... not to mention he runs around like a mad man! 

We're constantly working on correcting his playful biting, but does anyone have any advice about how to help him settle down after meals? 

We are currently in an apartment, until November, so we're in a smaller space and he can't run off his energy outside. 

Views: 184

Replies to This Discussion

News for you- This is very normal. I have my two who go nuts in the evening. I recommend that you purchase a very long lead and take him to an area to release that energy. When I wasn't fenced in I would take Sophie out to my front lawn and with the long lead she would run in circles and after would be out for the night. Good luck!!
Our puppy crazies are anywhere between 5-6 pm. Enzo is as calm as can be throughout the day, but once the witching hour comes long....totally different dog. I finally learned I had to let her let the madness out. DH is outside with her this very moment throwing a ball over and over. When she is good and tired, we are good to go until the next night. That pent up energy just gets the best of them! Being so young, it will be tough to find somewhere other dogs have not been, for you.. May be a long hallway? We have a very large yard, so finding space has not been a problem for us.

Thanks for the tips! I was starting to wonder if his crazy times was his 'true self' or if he was just releasing the pent up energy. I'll be getting a long lead pronto! 

Perhaps he needs to go potty. My Chachi would nip and be bonkers after eating, little did we know he was trying to tell us he needed to go out. After several of these episodes and he then proceeding to pee on my floor, we got the hint. We then found and taught him a better way to tell us he needed to go potty.

AKA "zoomies" - our 14 week old F1B GD does the same. Normally a completely sweet gentle lass, she goes nuts in the morning and evening after meals.  We thankfully have a nice big backyard to let her zoom around in. I don't mind the running crazy thing (I admit that it is fun to watch :-), but I'm a bit worried about the jumping/biting.  I'm hoping that (jumping/biting) will cease once she gets older.  When she starts to jump/bite, we turn away or ignore or sit down, after which she usually stops.

We definitely give her enough exercise - at least 2 walks a day and plenty of backyard fun time, so I don't think it's a need to release energy thing, just a puppy thing?

Any other advice on how to control and/or avoid the jumping/biting?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service