DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bentley is 12 1/2 weeks, and has been so much fun.  He is a typical puppy.....no better, no worse.  He still has accidents, and I got the bells to hang on the door.  I have enrolled in the Doggy Dan Online Training, and have gotten thru all the first videos and the puppy videos, and am trying very hard to be pack leader.  He tends to nip me a lot more than DH.  He humps me and no one else.  I do the "throw away" 3X, and then time out.  That helps get the message across.  I also had gotten the easy walk harness, which is working out well.  Today, I had to give him a bath.  First mistake was bathing him in the laundry room sink.  He has now gotten too big for it, and it was a disaster to say the least. He wanted no part of it, and I have the scratches to prove it.  Afterwards, I thought we would take a walk to help release some energy and to help dry off.  I decided to use his collar instead of the harness because I wanted him to dry good.  It was the longest, most frustrating 1/2 mile walk ever.  He pulled and pulled and pulled.  Each time, I would stop and wait until the leash was relaxed before walking again.  The entire walk was walk a few steps, and stop.  I know he was frustrated, and so was I.  Anyway, I know it is a work in progress.  I just wanted to share the "Puppy Madness" day that I have had so far today.  He is resting in his crate right now, and I  am taking a few breaths to relax.

Views: 266

Replies to This Discussion

Good for you! Keep it up. It's so worth it in the long run. If you continue with the stopping right away when he pulls, he'll get it very fast that the walk will be no fun if he doesn't listen. You can try having a few treats in your pocket. Call him back when he pulls. When he turns back to you, praise and reward. If you stick with it he'll walk next to you with or without a leash.
Aww, I feel ya! Sounds like you need a 'treat' too :) best of luck, hang tough!!
Cindy, thanks for the encouragement! Helga, that is a great idea to call him back to me and treat!

We've all been there that's for sure!  One night when Preston was a few months old he was being really naughty while my son and I were trying to do his homework.  My son made a sign that said "Preston F" since he was being so naughty.  I took a picture of this innocent looking doodle with his "report card" and the chewed up plant in the background.  We still laugh when we see it (and we still have nights where he really tests the limits even though he is now 1!).  We keep reminding ourselves that someday he will be an old dog, and we will want these puppy days back.  It's nice to have this forum to see that others are going through the same thing though!

Gretchen, that is so funny about the report card.  That is so true that too soon they will be old, and we will look back on these days and smile.  

Tammy, you're right about the crates.  I remember Doggy Dan said to calmly put them in (any isolation), and not be angry, so it definitely helps us both.

I only laugh when I read this ,because I too  went though this stuff !!! Hang in there honey. when . Violet turned 1 and it was like the sky opened up to a new puppy !! she is two now and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better... love her to death ......use the crate for time outs for him and you

Doggy Dan also talks about a start stop change direction move that you could use for walking as well.  See if you can find his info on that an try that.  Better that stopping and waiting or at least not as frustrating.  Hang in there, it will get better.

Hang in there! It's all very familiar to most of us. You sound like you're doing it right! And oh...it's oh so worth all your hard work and efforts!

Does a glass of wine sound good right about now?  Or a nice long bubble bath for yourself?

Nancy, I like how you think ;)

I seriously could have wrote this exact same vent 4 months ago!! All of the nipping, humping, biting, pulling, sock stealing, etc. was about driving me crazy. I DID drink the wine that Nancy talked about, and sometimes too much of it! :-) I remember emerging from the bathroom a complete mess after having a disastrous bathing session with Winnie.....my clothes and hair were dripping wet, mascara was running down my face, and I had scratch marks all over my arms, chest and back. It seems comical now when I think about it, but I was soooo frustrated with her I was ready to wring her neck! Even though people told me otherwise, I seriously thought that it was NEVER going to get better and that we had purchased a very expensive mistake.

Fast forward 4 months, and things are now like night and day. She stays nearly completely still when I bathe her, walks like a charm on leash, and people remark how well behaved she is. What fun she is to have around! She still nips at my butt every now and then when she is really excited, but she has stopped humping and biting my arms. Whew! Hang in there- it WILL get better. :-)  

Oh, Lori, thanks for sharing. That does make me feel a whole lot better ;)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service