DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I wonder how you can get your Doodle to let you comb/brush them to prevent matting.
Thanks.

Views: 219

Replies to This Discussion

You have to start that when they first get home. The earlier the better! If you do it regularly while they are small, they will just accept it as part of life.

Try doing just a little everyday until they get used to it.  I would do it at night when they were tired. I also give mine a treat when we are done.  Now all 3 dogs sit and wait when I pull the brush out because they know they are going to get a treat when we are done.

I do the opposite. I give him a bully stick or something he can work on for a little while to keep him occupied while I'm brushing butch. Not for a quick once over but when I know I want to spend some time on his coat.

I started the day Hurley came home.  I would play with him a little and then stroke is back, tickle under the ears, etc all the time talking to him.  He would lay down on his side I would start to brush him and talk to him.  I did this for just a few minutes several times a day.  Gradually, as I extended the time I could cut back on how often during the day I would brush him.  

It became our time.  Every evening I would brush him, as he lay on his side, brushing and talking to him and then rolling him over and brushing the other side gradually getting every bit of him brushed.  It is sort of a calming game with us and it is our one-on-one time.  He loves it.  He never gets impatient but practically cools.   I don't brush him everyday now.  Usually every other day.  

I never gave Hurley treats before, during, or after brushing him.  Just lots of hugs and kisses and good boys. 

Starting early is always best but I think a flexible approach may be necessary with regard to strategies. Here is why: Over the years, I have brushed two long-haired terriers and now am working with my 7 month old doodle who has a very thick, longish, wavy puppy coat.  One terrier loved being brushed and combed from the time she was a tiny puppy, with the encouragement of lots of affection and "good girls," and I ended up doing all her grooming for the 15.9 years she graced my life.. The other terrier, Honey, was more reluctant, but gradually became tolerant of brushing with the encouragement of lots of affection, "good girls" and the judicious use of treats and distractions.  Unfortunately at the age of 4 the professional groomer I used every two months had a new assistant groom Honey, allegedly because she was "such a sweet, cooperative little dog." Honey came home an anxious, trembling wreck with multiple cuts all over her body, and since then bathing, brushing and nail cutting have been nearly impossible for one person to accomplish regardless of inducements. [off point, but please, be very careful choosing a groomer, demand that no newbies work on your dog, and stick around and watch at first, and on occasion thereafter.] My doodle, Belle, was initially very stubborn and wanted to play with the brush and comb and the round-ended scissors I use to cut the hair that obstructs her vision. Although she loves affection, good words, and food, her primary goal in life so far is to play, play, play.  At first I had a vet tech hold  her while I showed Belle that cutting her hair did not hurt, and gave her much praise and a treat. For brushing, I do it almost every evening after playing a rousing game of fetch for at least 15 minutes, and play again for another 10 minutes after brushing. Recognizing that she was "play motivated" made a huge difference.  Also, I recently invested in a Les Poochs brush, and Belle seems to feel more comfortable with that.  I let her play with the old wooden bristle brush for a while sometimes while I watch because I'm not sure if that is safe. Anyway, be patient, and have fun figuring out the bast way to elicit the response you want from your adorable (of course) doodle. 

My doodle that mats - my husband snuggles and I brush/comb. My doodle that sheds, I just put in a stay.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service