DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I took Miss Lucy out to potty in the back yard today. I was right there with her. I never let her go out alone bc I am afraid she might get into trouble. She's only 6 months and the temptation to dig is strong still :)

I let her out and the stinker RUNS as fast as she can to a mushroom and eats it! I got the steam out of her mouth but I knew she swallowed the cap of it. It was not there this AM. We have had a lot of humidity. I went right inside and called the vet just to make sure it was okay. I really called thinking they would say it was no big deal at all. They told me to get her in as quickly as I could so they could induce vomitting. 

Our vet is about 25 minutues away with no traffic. Of course it was 4:30 and traiffic was bad. I had 2 small children in tow too. We got there in less then 40 minutes or so. They took her right back and gave her the meds. The vet let me know that mushrooms can cause liver failure. I had no clue! They wanted to keep her overnight. 

The vet called me when I was on my way home and said that Lucy had already thrown up once and they saw big chunks of mushroom. That is a good thing. He was pretty sure she would be okay since I got her there so quickly.WHEW!!!! 

I feel so bad she has to stay the night. She's never been away from me :( I am just so thankful she is okay. I just wanted to put this warning bc I really never thought about a mushroom hurting a puppy. 

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

Good grief.  Wish your vet would have instructed you to induce vomiting First and then transport.  IF it were the type of mushroom that is poisonous 25 minutes may have been too late.

There is syrup of Ipecac and a peroxide method that would have induced vomiting.

I also think you have small children ( right? I thought you did)    So you may want to know those method for them too.

Good luck, hope everything turns out alright for your pretty girl.

Poor Baby!!! And poor MOMMY!!!! I had no idea that mushrooms could be so harmful, thank you for letting us know, and I'm sorry you had to find out this way! How is your beautiful girl now?
The last call I got was that she was doing well. I wanted to add that the vet said some mushrooms. So he he was being on the safe side and did not want to chance it. I do not have anything like that around to induce. I will ask them tomorrow when I pick her up. I do love our vet. She seemed fine when I took her in.. Just nervous bc of how quickly I grabbed and in jumped in the car. I am thankful that I live less then 5 min from our awesome fire station if something happens with the kiddos. I wish our vet was that close!
Thanks for sharing good to know and so happy that Lucy is okay.

Poor Miss Lucy!!!! OMG, I had NO IDEA that wild mushrooms popping up in a yard could be that dangerous for a puppy!!! (I wonder if it's just as dangerous for older dogs. Probably, eh?) I hope she will be ok. Thank you for sharing this info with us! Would you mind if I reposted this in a health/wellness thread in my Almond Blossom Doodles (Toby's breeder) group? I want Toby's brothers and sister's to aware of this risk!

Scary....I thought there was a list somewhere but it is truly a lesson learned for all of us. We should have the syrup of ipecac on hand. I used to when my kids were little but never thought of it for the dogs.

Here's a link from ASPCA FYI.... http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-...

Poor Lucy, and poor you!  Glad she seems to be doing fine.  After her ear issue and now this... I hope the rest of your week is much calmer!!  thanks for the posting about the mushrooms, as diligent as I try to be I didn't know this one.  ~hugs~ 

It sounds like things are going to turn out okay, thank goodness.  Thank you for the information, it would never have ocurred to me.
Linda, no I would not mind at all. I think its good for others to know. I am so glad I called. I would have been heart broken if something horrible had happened to her. My house is WAY too quiet tonight and I am not enjoying it at all.

I get to go get her after I drop my son off at school at 10. YEAH! This house was WAY TOO QUIET and I did not like it a bit! 

Poor baby is probably stressed out. 

Lucy is home now :) She is very tired bc she probably did not sleep much. 

The staff took great care of her. They said she did bark when other dogs went by bc she wanted to play. 

She came home and ate (she would not touch the food they tried to give her) and is now passed out. 

Whew. 

Wow! Thanks for the warning. I had no idea. I'm glad your pup is okay.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service