DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello! 

We pick up our F1b puppy in January - I am so excited! I feel like we are having a baby with all the research and good information available! We recently said goodbye to our schnauzer - he was a rescue, 14 years old and great dog, but he didn't do well once we had kids - so the last couple years were tough in having to keep them separated. We absolutely love dogs and can't wait to have another but are doing our best to provide the best care for everyone. I've got a few items on my amazon wish list based on reading some of the discussions and input. Also just ordered the Monks of Skete book, but curious about recommended products based on experience:

1.) Crate Size? Did you get a travel crate in addition to a midwest travel crate, which size? 

2). Hydrocollar or rolled leather collar? or just standard lupine? I imagine just a lupine dog leash?

3) Any tips for trimming nails? Tools? 

4) Steel comb and brush for grooming?  

5)  Toy recommendations? 

6) Shampoo and Conditioner recommendations?

Thanks so very much for any input you may have!! 

Views: 224

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations on your new puppy!
I used a Snuggle Puppy in the beginning in the crate. It has a heartbeat and you can put a heat pack in so the puppy doesn't feel alone.
Les Poochs or Activet brush is what I use. Shampoo and conditioner Chris Christensen spectrum 10. And a high velocity blow dryer.
All my dogs love bully sticks for chewing.
Best of luck!
I pick up my doodle on saturday !

1. Midwest crate- it comes with a divider so you can make it smaller. You may also want a smaller travel crate depending on your living situation for car rides/to help with potty training. My doodle is a standard and I think I have a 42" crate. 

2. I use just the standard flat buckle nylon collars or a martingale style nylon collar. I know a lot of people have success with lower matting with the rolled leather, but I have never really had an issue with that.

3. Just basic nail trimmers. I prefer to file them down as well- they make electric files for that, but you have to be careful not to catch their foot hair on it or it is very painful for the dog.

4. Yes to a stainless steel comb and yes to an Activet brush. You will want to have both.

5. Toys will totally depend on the personality of your pup. I would wait to do most toy shopping until you know better what your pup likes (plus it is fun to shop once they actually arrive!). My puppy, for example, loves stuffed toys and has never destroyed one ever, but could not care less about nylabone type chews. I am very glad I didn't go out and buy a ton of those bones because it would have been a waste of money I could have spent on other things. Conversely, some dogs destroy every stuffed toy that comes within their sight. 

6. I use Tropiclean Kava shampoo- it is a 2-in-1 and soap free so it is very gentle on the skin and coat and you don't have to worry as much about "too many baths". It has a very pleasant scent that leaves the dog smelling clean without smelling perfumed. I also have their detangler spray and a product called The Stuff. The Stuff is expensive, but you don't have to use a lot of it and it keeps the coat really nice. 

I highly recommend Chewy.com for purchases. They have the best prices, free shipping on orders over $49, and you can set your food up to be on auto ship so you don't have to worry about running out. I almost never buy anything from pet stores anymore- we go there to train and so that I can check sizes of toys etc and then I go home and order it on Chewy! They also have fantastic customer service. 

1)Since we only crated for a while and our pup was a mini, we moved the crate to our RV when we camped and kept it in our bedroom when home.

2) We have both rolled leather and hydrocollar. My favorite is the hydrocollar from:        http://www.hotdogsalldressed.com/index.php?option=com_contact&v...         Lupine didn't work with Ned's coat. 

3) We have our dogs groomed every 4 - 6 weeks and let the groomer trim nails.

4) We use Activet/LesPoochs brushes and a steel comb or one called the Untangler,

5)  We got one of each 'type' of toy - puppy kong, stuffie, rubber toy etc. to see what was interesting to the pup.

6)  We keep Cowboy Magic Shampoo at home, just in case.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service