DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone!  I am so happy to be in this group...but I am SOOOOO darn tired.  I brought my Jarvis home last night (final name change #3 lol).  After a 4 hour car ride with traffic and 3 stops for the little guy, we finally got home last night at 6:30 pm.  I set him up with food and water, which he happily ate and drank :)  Played with him, and got ready for bed.  Well I think I probably got, altogether about 1 1/2 hours of sleep.  He would not stop all night long.  Barking, whining, biting everything.  I had him in his crate next to me all night.  Nothing I did would quiet him.  I took him potty once every hour and half, hoping that would tire him out a bit.  No dice.  I don't know how to get him to sleep through the night.  I know it's early, but he is such a good dog...hasn't had a single accident and goes potty every time he goes outside.  I have a feeling it is because he slept the majority of the car ride yesterday, and it was his first night....so I am trying to keep him up all day today!  Wish me luck!  I love this cute little guy!

Views: 426

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Such a cutie!!  Jarvis is ridiculously adorable!  Don't worry it gets better, eventually.  I got maizey a heartbeat puppy pillow which kind of helped, but yeah it was really rough at first.  I was in a state of exhaustion from lack of sleep for a month.  It's totally worth it and I'd do it again!!   Congrats and welcome!!  

Woooo, I definitely understand! The first week I brought Roux home, I just cried because I was SO exhausted and I thought I would never get a good night's sleep again!

One thing my breeder recommended was for the first night or so, to let her sleep in the bed with me. It can be a shock for them to go from sleeping snuggled up with their mommy and siblings to being alone so it's a nice way to work them into it until they get used to their new home. I also cut off water after 9pm to cute down on potty trips. 

Maybe that will help! But I will encourage you that it won't be forever!!! I thought it would never end, but now my 11 month old has been sleeping through the night with no problems for a while now!

Good luck!
Beth

It does get MUCH better. The first week is the hardest, but as long as you stay consistent with crate training, it will work out. Zoe went through terrible separation anxiety the first few nights, but then one evening, she just quieted down and slept...until midnight. Haha but only for a potty break.

Just keep the associations with the crate good (e.g. Give treats or feed him there if you can and play on and around it) and it will work out.

I also ordered that heartbeat puppy, but she didn't need it by the time it arrived through Amazon Prime, which is saying something!

Good luck and congratulations!!

Thanks for the support, I figured it will get better eventually...I can only imagine how scary it is to be taken from all his brothers and sisters and be in this strange place.  He is such a sweetheart, and I am so happy to have him.  I'll just make my fiance get up with him tonight!  I tried having him sleep with me, but all he wanted to do was play and chew on everything and he wouldn't settle down....go figure, he has been trying to nap all morning....I feel bad waking him up, but momma's gotta sleep!!! Lol, the things we do for our dogs....

I wouldn't try to keep him up. Puppies sleep A LOT, including a good part of the day, so don't assume that's why he wouldn't sleep at night. I'm a big believer in "sleep begets sleep," so let him nap during the day. I couldn't believe how much our puppy Nutmeg slept the first few weeks (and still does!). At night, have the crate close enough to your bedside that you can stick a finger or two through the grate. I had to do that the first couple nights, and then Nutmeg was fine by night #3, and actually slept through the night. Good luck!

So adorable!!  Welcome to the club, in the beginning it's very hard work.  I call my dog little Ms Diva!!  It was so easy taking care of my Golden Retriever, but not my ALD, very hard work.

Hang in there, it will get better. Strange new surroundings, no litter-mates, no mom - so many changes for a baby. Hug him & love him & put something in his crate with your scent.
It will get better! He is a cutie! Make sure he has something to snuggle with and if it has your scent all the better. Did your breeder give you a toy that he had played with while he was with them? That really helped my dogs. They slept and played with that little soft toy in their crates for at least a month! Good luck!

I draped a dark color towel or sheet over the crate at night. That gives them a "den" like feeling. We also had a snuggle puppy with heartbeat in there for her. When she got really vocal with her crying, I would just hit the top of the crate and tell her "quiet". By about the 3rd night we all were getting  a little more sleep. Good Luck!

I do the same thing and put towels over the crate, but my Mari is too smart and always stick her paws out to move the towels to the side.

Well I guess it is a good thing he is so darn cute, lol!  We have had AnnaBelle home for 1 week now and things are going really well.  I too have the crate right beside the bed where I can just reach over and rub her little paws with my fingers if she starts whimpering.  I got the snuggle puppy as well, and she loves it.  With our 1st two doodles (5 years ago) we were like you going out a million times a night.  With AnnaBelle, we are going out maybe once.  Would she go if I took her out 5 times, yes, she goes every time I take her out during the day as well.  Sometimes 2 or 3 times.  What I'm getting at is maybe you don't need to be making all those trips out.  I would try taking him out right at bedtime.  Give him time to make sure he gets all pees and poos out.  Sometimes they have more than one of both.  Then I would just put him in the crate, lights off, and just rub the top of his feet with your finger and make calming shhhhh sounds!   If he whines and your calming rubs and shhhh's don't work then he might need a potty.  Then, if that doesn't work, like you said it is your finance's night to deal with it!  lol.  Good luck.  Hope he settles in a little more today.  I would let him sleep during the day though.  AnnaBelle sleeps a lot during the day.

How are things with Jarvis?  Would love to hear how he's doing now!?  Hopefully you are getting some sleep by now!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service