DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

OK, so Max turned ONE on 12.28.09 and the very next day he started howling at night....WHAT?! WHYYY?

Max has been in a crate ever since he was a puppy and has done very well. When he was a puppy, the first few days were hard for him, but he learned and got used to the crate.

Now Max just turned the big "01" (hahaha) and has now decided to start barking/whining at night. He NEVER did this before. He normally only started whining around 7.30ish am since this was the time I normally took him out of his crate to go outside...other than that I've never had any problems with him.

The only thing that I can think of is that the following day (12.29.09) I took Max for his first haircut - which FYI was a COMPLETE DISASTER as they did a 'shave down' on him which is NOT what I wanted...so now he looks like a skinny dobermin to me....needless to say lots of tears were shed and I will NOT be having that done again - but all of that is for another discussion..hahaha.

In any case, that night when I brought him home he started whining/barking in his cage; first at around 1230am so I let him out thinking he had to go potty....which he did, but I think he could've waited...then again at around 430ish.

So my question is this: Is he traumatized from his horrific haircut (which at this same appt they did give him a sedative to do as I also had him ''chipped'' and his bordatella shot was given)? OR Has he simply had it with the crate? (i'm guessing it may be this one since he is in there a lot, but he'll destroy my house if he's out by himself...plus he'll bark like crazy if i'm not down there sleeping on the couch to be near him).

I'm hoping maybe I should just give it a few days and see if he calms down from the vet "incident". Anyway else have this problem when your labradoodle hit the age of one???

Views: 70

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

No experience like this but I wonder why he was given a sedative. Was it because of the chip or to make him more managable for grooming? Was the grooming impossible to do because he was scared or crazy, necessitating a shave and sedative? Maybe he drank alot due to the medication and was a little loopy from the meds? Maybe he had a mild tummy upset? I also think it will just pass. Remember, he does not care how his hair looks so no matter how traumatized you are from your "dobbie dood", he was not injured by the haircut itself. It just makes me imagine him being agitated from fear or whatever (you said this was his first groom?), then they drugged him which might have made him feel even more out of control and afraid. Hang in there and let him get back to normal. If all this was from traumatized pup, I would begin taking him, VERY OFTEN, to a gentle groomer to train him in the finer arts of being groomed. Maybe easy mini grooms for training sessions with a professional and lots of yummy treats to let him know it is not really that scary.
Oh Kathi... MANY of us have been through the BAD haircuts. Some of us more than once. I'm sure you'll find many posts on it. As far as the crate.... Tori was pretty much good from the first night we had her. I allowed her to sleep in my son's room IN HER CRATE and layed an old shirt he had been wearing next to the crate so she could smell him. I didn't place it INSIDE b/c she was/is a chewer. I read somewhere that because of their pack nature, the do not like to sleep alone. She has since moved out of my son's bedroom to the crate in our den. Her choice, not ours. She would bark and pound her paws against the crate when I shut it and couldn't figure out why, but....I have established a routine before bedtime. I take her out open the door to her crate say sleeptime, and - here's the magic- I open my freezer take out a frozen meatball which I made from her canned food. She sees the container and goes tearing into her crate and waits. I shut the door and toss in the small meatball. I say goodnight and leave. Still- sometimes she barks for a minute - but she stops immediately. Don't know why - but it works! Good luck! It may take a while, but you'll find what works best ffot you both! Happy new year!
I'm thinking it was the grooming experience. Our Leo had his first grooming about a month ago. He was not sedated, but was SO subdued afterward that I ended up calling the vet that evening! (Fortunately, they're open until 8 p.m. on weeknights!) They agreed that it was just the whole grooming experience - and BTW, he came home looking absolutely gorgeous. He did have "big hair" and didn't recognize himself in the window and kept barking. But the whole point is - he was so not himself for about the first 24 hours after being groomed. I suspect Max will calm down soon. Also he may not react well to being sedated. My Shih Tzu is very sensitive and usually has the opposite reaction to meds - things that are supposed to make him go to sleep and/or calm him tend to agitate him, and that might also be what's going on with your Max. Hopefully he will have calmed down with 24 hours and you can get some rest and won't be worrying about him. Let us know what happens!

This is what they did, do you see a doodle ANYHERE in this picture!?! :(

My poor Maxi-poo....and as an update, although I was very hesitant, I did put an old christmas tree skirt i was gonna toss out this season in Max's cage last night (he's a chewer and I was afraid he would chew it up and eat it, but he didn't) - he slept fine! My husband said earlier that day that perhaps Max was cold....which by looking at this photo, you could see why he could be!

Thank you for everyone's comments. I think he perhaps was a bit traumatized by the experience (not so much by the cut like i was - ha!). To answer an earlier question, they gave him a sedative to do the "shave down" (uggg....what a horrid term for a doodle) so he'd be more managable I guess and also to do the shot for his chip implant. I don't know that it was necessary so much as I wasn't there, but whatever they can do to charge more money i guess.

In any case, i will definitely be armed with pictures and GROOMER references before getting Max's haircut again!! This was/is the first dog I've cared for all by myself (as my mom pretty much took care of our family dog growing up), so I'm definitely learning a lot. Also, having a 'specialty dog' adds to my learning curve. I must say, you folks on here are AWESOME with all your comments and feedback and you're all so responsive and quick to my questions! I'm so thankful to have found this site.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW DOODLER'S!! :-D

I think Max looks beautiful, like a lab. His hair will grow back in no time. : )
Thanks Debbie, he's just sooooooo skinny looking now (he looks "sick" to me). I knew he was thin under his coat (well, as thin as 81 lbs can be), but he just seems cold now. And I'm kinda bummed I did this to him at this time of year...winter and all. I feel HORRIBLE!
My sympathies...I am in the same boat as I had Kramer groomed yesterday and am also traumatized! It was necessary due to several factors..he was losing his puppy coat and shedding badly, a day out in the rain and mud (oops!) while we were at work made him mat terribly and I wasn't able to get them out, and a switch to a different shampoo (what was I thinking?) that really dried out his fur. I am not disappointed in the groomer, just that he looks different and lost his golden part and now looks like a poodle! It was necessary and traumatic, but we will look back and laugh at the gangly Kramer pics! We DID learn to keep on top of the grooming in the future, it WILL grow back, and that Kramer really care how Kramer looks! He still is just as crazy and loving as he used to be, but I don't like the feeling of losing my "puppy" for a grown-up dog! (Just like the transition from baby to toddler to child that my boys went through, and yes! I feel like I want another puppy already! LOL)
As far as the first dog learning curve, I am right there with you and get wiser every day! Who knew a dog could teach us do much??? Also my appreciation for all the doodlers whohave helped me along the way!!!
Attachments:
OK.....so Max has been COMPLETELY lathargic today and has pretty much just layed around and slept! What's wrong with him????

This is sooooooo NOT like Max at all! I am quite scared that he's sick or something. I took him to the vet on 12.29...that evening and even the next day he acted fine and like his "usual self"....today, it's like I have an 80 year old dog who sleeps all day and just looks at you like he's sad. :-(

His nose is slightly dry too, not wet like a dog nose....did he catch something from the vets office that's only showing up today? If they gave him a sedative, did it only kick in today?

Please help me doodle owners, I'm quite scared that something is terribly wrong with Max! The vet office is open tomorrow until noon and I will be calling and/or bringing him by. Any thoughts on his behavior???
1.2.2010 *update*

I took Max to the vet this morning and he was running a 104.2 temp, had congestion in his right lung and a slight ear infection in his right ear. The vet said the temp and congestion (and his complete lack of energy due to having a fever) was due to perhaps the Bordatella shot he got on tuesday with his hair butcher and chip implant. I mentioned that Max has had the Bordatella shot before with no issues, so why now. He (the vet) said that they changed brands or something and that may be why.

In any case, he gave Max a shot in the butt to help bring his fever down and some meds for the ear infection. THANK GOODNESS! I was a complete mess the last two days not knowing what was wrong with Max! :-( It's so frustrating when your 'patient' can't tell you what's bothering them. ;-) I tell ya, if I'm this attached to a dog only after one year, I can only imagine how parents are with their (people) children. I couldn't imagine what I'd do if I lost Max....

Thanks for letting me post all my paranoid feelings doodlers...lol. :-D
Sorry to hear Max is sick but good thing you took him to the vet.
glad to hear that he will be feeling better soon! It is so scary when you can't figure out what is bothering them.
Keep us posted on how he is feeling tomorrow!
Oh my Gosh, Kathy! I feel so bad for you.... Everything you are going through hits home with me!!! I already wrote about her bad haircutS, but I have been thru' so much health wise with her too - the pancreatisis, swallowing a screw, and even a bad reaction to one of the shots. It was the Rabi shot - the 3 year one. We took her to the vet to update her shots the vet asked if we wanted the 1 or 3 year hot, so we said I guess the 3 year, took her home and about 1 hour later she was under the dining room table (her favorite hiding spot) vomitting! When I looked at her her eyes were so swollen. I immediately called the vet back, thank God they were still open, brought her down and they said she was having a reaction to the shot.. again different brand than she had before. They gave her a benedryl shot and 2 more pills to give her later that night and the next day. I know what you mean about being scared! And YES! it's terrible when it's your human kids too.. but at least they eventually are able to speak to you and tell you what's wrong... but when they're babies it's HORRIBLE (too). Hope Max is better now!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service