DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi!

Any recommendations on safe toys, bones, etc that my 12 week old puppy can chew?  His breeder recommended getting raw beef marrow bones, however our vet strongly advised against this.  Both the breeder and the vet said that deer antlers and bully sticks were ok.  I got Wrigley a deer antler and he does love it, however seems to be getting somewhat bored with it.  I thought I read that bully sticks were not ok to give puppies, but I could be wrong!  There seems to be so much conflicting advice out on the web!  Scared to do nylabones or rawhides, based on horror stories I have read.  I would love to hear what other doodle owners have used.  I desperately need to relieve Wrigley's strong desire to chew, but I want to keep him safe!  

Views: 408

Replies to This Discussion

I have been a big fan of the antlers, cut in half. Once the initial "flavor" or whatever they like on it starts to wear down you can slobber in peanut butter or cream cheese, stick some kibble pieces to it. It is my own version of ants on a log for dogs. Maggie loves those. And they last a really long time.

Ha ha ha 'Ants on a log"  cracking me up!

I will try the washcloth (never heard of this)!  Thanks!

Bully sticks have become my best friend. Finn is very mouthy, especially in the morning. I do have to watch him though because if it gets small enough, he will swallow it whole.

Our Finn is 12 weeks too and I feel the same way!  It's hard to find safe toys.  He likes the brown, rubbery nylabone a lot, as well as the squeaky, flat softie animals I got at Petco (2 for $5).  This weekend I bought a "rope ball" from Petsmart (about $3) and it has been a hit as well as rope toys with tennis balls on them.  I agree he likes to shred the tennis ball more than play with the toy but at least he is entertained and doesn't swallow the pieces!  The rope ball is good for us because it can be thrown for fetch and safely chewed.  Also tried the frozen washcloth tied in a know and that was about 10 minutes of entertainment, the Kong with bacon it is was fun but he couldn't figure out how to get the bacon and gave up.  Squeaky softies are by far the most played with right now though!  I am saving the deer antler for a rainy day.  Love getting recommendations from DK.

My trainer and dog sitter said never give a rawhide bone to a puppy if you leave him.  I guess they can break off bits and choke.  I give it to my Gracie when I am home as a play treat.  What I give her for when she is alone is a beef bone that has been cleaned and sanitized.  It has no flavor but helps them just gnaw.  No parts break off.  She likes it and it has lasted forever.  Deer antlers are ok but they don't seem to like them for any length of time.  

My trainer and dog sitter said never give a rawhide bone to a puppy if you leave him.  I guess they can break off bits and choke.  I give it to my Gracie when I am home as a play treat.  What I give her for when she is alone is a beef bone that has been cleaned and sanitized.  It has no flavor but helps them just gnaw.  No parts break off.  She likes it and it has lasted forever.  Deer antlers are ok but they don't seem to like them for any length of time.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service