DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,

Need advice for 6 month MGD who recently lost all his teeth in the last couple weeks and now will not touch his food.  We use Blue Buffalo Wilderness and a little wet food to soften up.  He has always loved his food until this past week.  Also during this past week I would have to spoon feed him from the bowl---he would not touch the food if its in the bowl by its self. 

Has anyone ever experienced this behavior before?  Advice?  Suggestions??

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there!

Bob has been doing the same thing. I've found that he just gets tired of his food after awhile and doesn't want to eat it. I've switched to Fromm, because they offer several different flavors of food with all the same nutritional values, so it's actually intended for rotation (without the dreaded phase out/phase out process). Sometimes I'll add a little chicken or beef broth and sometimes I'll just leave it out and when he's hungry enough, he'll eat it.

Good luck!

Does your baby seem ok oherwise ?

Our baby's personality and energy level has not changed.  Its just the eating thing.  And we do not over do it with the treats and barely give him people food.  I think I will add some cooked chicken or broth or cheese to the meal tonight and see if makes him more interested.  Thanks for the advice.

same thing happened with Bentley while he was really teething.  He hardly ever ate, we would also try hand feeding him.  He still has days where he's not hungry, and other days where he eats a lot.  I would not worry if he otherwise is acting fine

I don't think Yarrow's actually lost any baby teeth yet, but soon. She suddenly seemed off the food and also any treats that were hard and crunchy.  So I started pouring a bit of warm water over about 1 & a half cups of food about 15 minutes before giving it to her and stirring every couple of minutes.  She eats it up.  I think maybe her baby teeth are getting loose. 

Yes, my Nimbus did the same when he was teething. I soaked his food in hot water or added some babyfood (just chicken). He is 6 1/2 months now and still a little more picky than before. Sometimes he'll only eat if I handfeed him each morsel. My friend's labradoodle did the same, but now inhales his food again.

The reason why I would only soak a small portion of food is that, if she didn't want to eat it right away (she's a grazer) she would not want to eat the cold, soggy food later. ...food wasted.  Expensive food at that.

Has anyone tried homeopathic remedies for teething puppies?

Having the same issue (on and off) with Zoe our 8 mo., not sure what to make of it.  When we're on a schedule (ie i have to take her out before going to work and i really want her to eat), I've been taking a portion of the food, putting it in a different bowl and wetting it with some warmed l/s chicken broth.  That seems to 'prime the pump' and she'll eat that plus her remaining dry food.  If I put food out and she doesn't eat it, I just leave it - she'll eventually get hungry enough to eat.  I find that some days she'll eat and others she won't.  I was wondering if her new teeth were somewhat sensitive and the kibble was a bit hard for her to chew?  In all other aspects she's perfectly fine.  It's a stark contrast to when she was between 3-6 months and ravenous - couldn't slow her down. 

So - dunno - maybe, change bowls?  Add some chicken broth?  Hid a small liver snack in the food?  Let me know what works!

Good luck!

Violet is not a food driven puppy ... I nuke acorn squash and sweet potatoes and put some of the (cold) on a plate w her kibble ...she eats it ... also .I put kibble in a kong like thing and she seems to like the challange ... I have yet seen her eat from a bowl !! :)   spoiled girl ..

Violet - that's so funny.  Bentley would also rather eat his kibble out of a ball kong thing, then out of his bowl - even if he's sitting right next to his bowl!  I've also stopped being worried, he'll eat when he's hungry - I don't care about being on a schedule...

Guys! There is a saying - HEALTHY DOGS WILL NOT STARVE THEMSELVES -  If your dog is healthy - normal poops, normal activity levels, you do not need to entice them to eat.  I can see softening food when they are teething, but hand feeding them and using special toppers is CREATING a picky eater.  Just like people, not all dogs are food obsessed or food motivated.  Do not worry about it so much.  If they are hungry they will eat.  Some dogs like a bit of privacy when they eat, so they may 'wait' until you leave, or it is quiet etc.  Leaving the food down after measuring the expected portion or picking it up is your choice, but one of the suggestions for curing a picky eater, is to put the food down and leave it for 20 minutes. If the dog hasn't eaten by then, pick it up and wait until the next meal.  Some people prefer a brand where they can change flavors.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service