DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

hello all, I have a quick question to ask. Out puppy turns 8 weeks old tomorrow and we have had him for about a week. We knew that he would cry and whine during the night so we had a plan. The first night we went to bed, put him in his crate around 10:30. He whined for maybe 15 minutes and finally settled down. Then he woke up around 12:30 and I took him out and he went potty and then I took him back in and he immediately went back to sleep until 4 when my boyfriend took him out and then he was completely awake until 5 when my boyfriend got up to go to work. This pattern continued for about 4 days and then he got sick with diarrhea and had to go out about every hour and had an accident in his crate for the first time. He is all better now but the last two night he wants to go out at midnight, about 3, 4:30 and then is awake. But if i take him into the living room and sleep on the couch he sleeps on the floor next to me until 8:30 at least. And his crate in our bedroom is closer than he is to me with me on the couch. I'm fine taking him out once or twice a night because he is just a puppy and I understand that. I also and fine with letting him whine if this will help but ideally i'd like him to be able to settle in his crate - doesn't need to sleep just be quiet ish - until around 5:30 or 6. 4 is just a little too early and while I work from home and can nap my boyfriend works at a construction site and needs to be on his game. Any and all tips for keeping him occupied at 4 - we thought about a kong but he showed no interest - or ways to get him to sleep more are welcome. Thanks 

Views: 178

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

First, oh my goodness, he is a cutie! I guess it's a matter of getting through the whining..maybe get him back on track during the weekend, when your boyfriend doesn't have to to to work in the morning..it shouldn't take long..and maybe (if you haven't already) put a piece of your clothing in the crate with him for comfort..plus when we had to take George out in the middle of the night, it was all business, no play..everything kept really calm and quiet, and dim lighting..

Thank you  - yeah we have clothing in there already as well as a warm water bottle and a ticking clock. We also put an antler in there which is the one thing I feel I can leave him alone without having to watch him with it. I've read that waking them up before they whine can help so tonight we will try alarms and waking him up and try to ignore the whining. Thank you for the help. 

You're welcome..I know it's hard, but the getting up in the middle of the night is temporary...we went through a couple of nights of barking and whining after the 11:00pm potty break when George was about 12 weeks..at which point I told my husband everything needed to be shut down...lights and all..and it made a huge difference..

Last night went really well. I set an alarm for midnight and andrew for 3 am. I got up, woke him up, took him out to go potty and he went right back to bed. Andrew apparently slept through his alarm and ended up getting up at 5. Still no accidents and andrew got his water bottle hot again and gave him his antler so he could entertain himself. I woke up at 7:30 to a sleeping puppy. First night of 8 1/2 hours since we brought him home. #feelingrested 

Happy to hear!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service