DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So do any of your puppies do things to purposefully drive you crazy?

Ollie will jump up and put his paws on the table and nip at me even though he knows it makes me mad (he will do these things and then run away as quick as possible to not get in trouble), it's almost like a game, ...how far can I push her? He really is like a toddler.

I love the guy, he is a big cuddle bug, he makes me laugh all the time, and I miss him terribly if I'm gone too long, but golly Ollie, sometimes he makes me crazy. lol

I guess my question is how do I best correct his behavior? Do I close his mouth when he nips at me? Do I remove his paws from the table? Do I give him a time out? I seem to be dealing with this constantly lately and just wondered if anyone had tips before he gets too big for me to handle..

Views: 190

Replies to This Discussion

How old is Ollie? 

When Ember does things she's not supposed to, I often get into her space and 'claim it' as mine. I've also done time outs. When she's acting like she's playing a game I just leave the room and then it becomes no more fun for her.

Hey! He is 4.5 months. He is a really really awesome puppy, but I just struggle with knowing how to react. I get frustrated when he bites at me. It's not out of anger, but more like "watch, this I can get you frustrated and then run! I have been trying to ignore him when he does this, and then redirect. I am just hoping it is a "puppy thing" that he grows out of, because if he gets bigger in size it will be harder to handle. 

Keep working on the biting/nipping. He's still learning that you are not a littermate and it is not okay to nip at you! This is what I did with Ember. Nipping was awful awhile back and now it is never a problem unless her mouth misses the toy and lands on my hand. Even then it does not hurt and she backs off immediately.

We did puppy class and got lots of support & helpful info. What we learned and followed to the T was to do the 'yelp' thing and leave the room every time (even if it meant getting up off the floor, etc. every 2 minutes). I'd give a couple of tries, and if she kept biting, then I put her in a time out (crate/expen) until she calmed down (30 seconds, a minute). Then I'd let her out and if she still couldn't get her act together, back to crate/expen for a nap. It didn't take long for her to catch on about what my expectations are. 

I make a backwards c with my hand, and put slight pressure on the back of marabelles neck, like her mother would do to show dislike and make a disapproving sound with my mouth. Now at this point, I only usually have to make the noise with my mouth and she knows I don't like something. It's a Ceser Milan thing. Works for me so far. Rhonda

I think it is him wanting to get my attention for sure. He is so playful and goofy, we just need to work out what is okay and what is not. The part that gets me riled up is when he does something and then runs away lol It's like he is saying, "I know you hate this, but...I'm going to do it anyways...then run." Ornery Ollie. (I guess doodles really do take after their owners)

Zoe not only likes to nip at us but slowly nip harder and harder to test us.  It's really weird and hurts alot.  We either giver a  chew toy to redirect her or walk away.  yelping or noises stopped working with her.  We are just being patient now and hoping this stage goes away.  but gosh it's annoying!

still teething most likely... does he like bully sticks? if lilly has something to chew on, she is fine.. if not she will try to mouth me. at 6 1/2 months she is so much better and knows the word "gentle". hang in there.

NOT my sweet Ollie?  You must be talking about another dog...

Love your profile pic!!!  Missing you and Ollie (the sweet one!)!!

I wouldn't say pushing your buttons, but more so demanding attention.  I remember Shelby going through this phase... and you have to ignore it and not let him win! 

Love the new profile pic... so cute!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service