DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Have you found your dog to be unusually good since being at a 2nd home?

My dog Lucky seems to pick up on his mistakes right away and not repeat them once we let him know we are not pleased. I wondered if its because another family abandoned him for such offences and he doesn't want that to happen again. I'm not complaining, I just can't believe how well behaved, non destructive, this rehome has been besides a few minor incidents.

Views: 18

Replies to This Discussion

My labradoodle Rosie was very sweet and loving when I first got her. She was about 18 months old. However I have to say she was also quite the wild child. When left alone she could be very destructive. Rosie also loved to dig. My yard looked like a war zone. If I tried to correct her she thought it was a game and dug faster and deeper. She was also very mouthy and very difficult to walk on a leash.She was very timid around other dogs and actually afraid of smaller dogs. It took about a year and attending good manner classes before she calmed down. On the good side she was very well house trained she had one accident the first week I had her and in 2 1/2 years that was it. I am not complaining as she is the smartest and sweetest dog I have ever had.
Lily has a very fiesty personality but she is also very sweet. When she gets in trouble it always seems to surprise her so I try to let her know just what is expected of her. She tries very hard to please but just like a hyperactive child she can't alway manage to do the right thing. She is making progress in the self control area though. It's my guess that her former owner ran out of patience.
Thule came with lovely habits like counter surfing and chewing up things that didn't belong to her--joining our family did not change things only time and consistency on our part improved them. She wasn't and isn't a bad dog just had bad habits that are slowly dying.

I believe dogs are creatures that live far too "in the moment" to think about concepts like abandonment. Nor do I believe they have any knowledge of "why" they were given up. YES they may feel grief, but I don't think it's a long term thing and stronger in some dogs than others. Cass visibly POUTS and hibernates when Clark is away for a day or more. She will ask to go outside in the rain and just stand there...or want to lie outside in the dark. But I've never seen this with Thule...EVER. She's always happy in the moment. I just don't see most dogs sitting around and thinking about their past life or wondering about it. Rosco, doesn't pout but when we travel he seems uneasy because his regular schedule has been disturbed. So I don't see Thule as 'grateful' for being rescued as much as happy with us. She was happy with her previous family, probably felt displaced for a moment, and is happy with her new family.

I see Thule's imaginary diary like this (i made up the dates):

Jan 15 -- where are my parents taking me? It's probably my favorite place!!!

Jan 16 -- I don't know where my parents are. But look at all the dogs here! New people! what should I do first???

Jan 17 -- some people named Clark and Adina came to look at me today. Who are they? I jumped on them and they didn't like it! they stuck me in a crate and I hated that part all the way to a new place. Then I got to meet Cass-- she barks at me a lot and won't play... I love her! Clark and Adina are nice too! I'm a little confused but excited!

Jan 18 -- So many new smells. What a neat home with great books to chew on and yummy shoes!
I love Cass. I love Clark. I love Adina.

I don't think for once Thule even had a chance to ponder her old family. I really don't think she ever felt sorry for herself or "FELT" "rescued" as much of happy to BE. I'm thrilled that we were able to give her a chance to continue to be happy.

For us to have felt sorry FOR HER or treat her differently or with pity would have been a disservice to her. She got the same boundaries, rules, love, and treatment as the rest (adjusted for her temperament). If anything, being the 'middle child' she missed out on equal training and thus is the least trained of all our doggies.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service