DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am new to all of this.  I just joined the food group because my goldendoodle Bexter (11 weeks old) has runny poops now all the time.  He used to have nice firm poop when I first brought him home.  He was on Puppy Chow from the breeder, so I gradually switched him over to Natural Balance Ultra Premium (the switch was about 1.5 weeks long) .  He was still fine for a few weeks.  Since then, however, he has tested positive for giardia so was put on med Panacur and Met..(long name - I can't spell it).  He has been off those for a while.  I thought maybe those  (or the giardia) were causing the loose poop.  Maybe it was & I haven't given it enough time.  I don't know.  Anyway - I know there have been a million discussions about loose poop. 

Is it possible that doodles just have loose poop and it's something to just accept?  He's starting to have really stinky gas too (new development as of yesterday)!  You'd swear that he pooped in the house - but it's just gas!

Is there a certain ingredient to look for in dog food that firms up the poop?  I have read the list of recommended foods here, but was just wondering if anyone can pinpoint an actual ingredient?  Just so you know, I did switch (just last night) to Synergy line of Natural Balance because of the higher protein level.  I wanted to see what happened with that before switching to a whole other brand.

Views: 538

Replies to This Discussion

Never had to explain "kibble" before, lol.
The word kibble is an American term.  It isn't used in Europe at all.  There is actually no English equivalent. ; )
Interesting!
honestly?....never heard of kibble until here in the food group - I am learning a lot from you Karen and I thank you!
Traci, I had a food emergency yesterday because the Orijen hadn't arrived as promised and I ran out of the food Riley was on and ended up having to buy a large bag of the same make but a different variety. I hate the stuff and will end up giving most of this to the local shelter once I have Riley switched to the Orijen.  Needless to say we ended up having a runny poop day.  The addition of pumpkin and runner beans sorted the whole thing out and by evening we were back to normal.  I don't think the runny issue is a Doodle issue but it may be a breeding issue.  By that I mean that dogs with sensitive tummies are not being screened out of the breeding programs.  Also the Giardia issues  (which are very common) seems to take some time to settle down and even though it may be gone the tummy problems seem to linger.
I agree with your asessment. And the giardia issues linger because the antibiotics that treat the giardia also destroy the good flora in the gut. In a young puppy with an immature digestive sytem, it takes a while to be restored.
Bexter's stools are still much better than they were!  They are formed and a little soft, but not bad!  Ever since we have switched to the Natural Balance Synergy, they have been way better.  I don't know if that's what did it or if I just had to wait out the effects of the giardia & medicine.  Nicky - You definitely brought up some interesting points.  Hope Riley's poops get better when she gets to eat her regular food!
Everybody - you have been sooo helpful!  Bexter is still doing great on NB Synergy and so we will stick with that (especially now that I know it's not too much fat...).  Also - UPDATE - Bexter has been cleared of the giardia, (YAY!!!!) so maybe that is also why his poops are great now!  I love this dog.  He is the most awesome dog I've ever known (and I'm not even being prejudiced...I promise...)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service