DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all!

So a little background on Loki who is almost 2 now. Not sure if any of this is relevant but here goes... He came home from the breeder on Fromm Family Large Breed Puppy Gold (the one with grains). My vet at his 16week check up told me he had never heard of Fromm and told me I should switch to Purina Pro Plan because it was probably a much better food so I did (this is all prior to finding DK obviously). He was on the pro plan for large breeds with chicken and rice- I think for about a month and it was clear his tummy did not like it so the vet suggested that I try Science Diet for large breed puppies, not sure what the flavor was because that one was even worse so we didn't even make it through a bag. Then someone at pet co told me those brands were not so great and I should try  Blue Buffalo for Large Breed puppies, I think it was the grain free chicken and rice (chicken something). He did well on that but it just made him have many silent but deadly farts which I have now learned are part of a adjustment period. At this point Loki was around 8 or 9 months and I found DK and the Food Group and switched him back to the Fromm Family Large Breed Puppy with healthy grains as I knew this worked for him before and was on the recommended list. I know I technically don't need to feed large breed, but at that point I just wanted a food that worked for him so I could stop messing with his tummy. 

So sorry that is soon long! Fast forward to now and Loki was transitioned to the Fromm Family Large Breed Adult Gold (the healthy grains) around 1 year (so 9 months ago). I have noticed in the past two weeks every time he eats he is scratching his nose like crazy! Pawing at it, and will even shove his nose at a persons hand looking for a little help with the scratching- cute as can be but, I don't want to see him with such a itchy nose! No other part of him is itchy (paws, butt, ears) and he only will itch after eating his dinner. Typically I feed him 2 cups in the morning and then 2 1/4 cups more for dinner. He is 1yr and 9months old and weighs around 90lbs. His last vet check was this past month for his heart worm test and the vet agrees that he is at a healthy weight. 

What should I do? Should I switch him to a different food? Grain Free, or one without Chicken or a limited ingredient diet? I was planning on switching Moose from his puppy food within the next few months or so, so if I need to switch Loki to something different my plan would be to maybe just switch Moose to the different food if it worked for him as well.  I plan on calling the vet and getting him a appointment if it continues or if you guys think its needed. That isn't the first thing I'm jumping to though because other than a few minutes after meals with the scratching, he's perfectly normal and fine. He still loves eating his food too. 

Thanks so much guys! Sorry this was such long post!

Jess, Loki, Moose

Views: 200

Replies to This Discussion

I honestly don't think this is anything to worry about. Every morning after breakfast and many nights after dinner, Jackdoodle circles the large microsuede ottoman in the family room rubbing his face against it. We joke that he uses it as a napkin. 

Some dry dog foods have a lot of particulate matter, especially when you get near the bottom of the bag, and some of it might be sticking to his nose right after he eats. Try washing his bowls after each meal and storing the kibble in airtight containers rather than the bags it comes in. You might even try wiping his nose and muzzle after he eats. But I honestly don;t think this warrants a vet visit or even a food change. 

T

and just realizing that my entire response didn't post... I'm sure it went something along the lines of thanks so much! I do store his food in air tight containers so that's good!

Our pup comes into the den every time he eats and rubs his whole body up against the side of our couch. I've never thought of it as a worrisome thing...

I'd say if your pup is healthy otherwise and still eating and pottying normally then maybe it's just a weird quirky thing your pup is doing. All pups seem to have their silly/quirky things :) 

yes he is totally normal otherwise. He's just been itching his nose like crazy. He was on a string of not great dog foods that did a number to his tummy when I first brought him home so whenever something upsets his tummy I always worry that all those poor quality foods did some damage early on- paranoid, probably but us doodle moms are all crazy lol :)

Have you been using any new dishwasher detergent or a different type of feeding bowl?

No same soap for the past year, it's a natural/low chemical fragrance free soap, I hand wash their bowls with a separate scrubbing brush just for their bowls as well and they have had the same bowls for about 6-8 months? I think I got matching ones a little before I brought Moose home. 

This has nothing to do with your post, but I can't get over it, that a puppy comes home from the breeder on a high quality food, which is so rare in itself, the puppy is doing well on the food, and the vet advises the owner to switch to a crappy Purina food for no other reason than that he has never heard of the high quality food! It's been on my mind all evening, lol! 

If ever anyone here had any doubts about the fact that most vets know absolutely nothing about dog food or nutrition, this story should definitely lay your doubts to rest. 

After I posted in the few groups a few weeks ago about switching Lambeau off Purina Pro Plan, we had a vet visit. I mentioned Fromms and Orijen to them and she said absolutely not, because they are untested and to stick with Purina or Hills. I went out last night and bought the Fromms. :) 

Good for you, Cynthia.

The "untested" stuff comes directly from the marketing people at Hills and Purina. All pet foods that carry the AAFCO approval (which includes all of the brands we recommend) have been tested and found to be nutritionally complete and adequate when used as intended. The difference is that unlike Hill's and Purina, these companies do not do animal testing other than "taste" tests. What the vet may not know is that the testing done by Purina, Hill's and some of the other big name foods we don't recommend includes experimentation on animals. They actually pay people (known as Class B animal dealers or "batchers") for animals to use in their testing labs. These people get the dogs and cats from many sources, including "free to good home" on Craig's List. 

This irritates me too! Especially since Loki was my first dog and besides reading a few "how to raise a good puppy" books and some research online, which was probably more than most people do, I really didn't know what I was doing and therefore susceptible to any advise given. When the vet had told me to switch they mentioned that lots of breeders send puppies home on lesser quality foods and it does make sense and does happen so I just figured that this was one of those lesser quality foods. They had mentioned that his coat could be much more shiny if I switched him and that was a sign of great health which to an inexperienced dog owner that sounds great! The more I think about it the more irritating it is! Thankfully though, I found DK and his tummy is all sorted out. 

In hind sight, it does make me respect my breeder a little bit more because I can only imagine if I bring one puppy in on a food that is unknown and needs to be switched right away, the flak she gets for bringing in a litter a year on this "same unknown food that is probably bad for these puppies". 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service