DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bonnie was on Nutro large breed puppy, and we changed to Orijen Large Beed Puppy over a period of 3 weeks. Bonnie LOVED Orijen to the point we could use kibble as treats (we just kept some of her ration out for treats)

Her poops however started becoming runny, but we gave it time as she is easily upset by different foods, and took care to transition slowly. I thought things would improve once we got to 100% Orijen and the grains were out of her diet.

It got worse, ( up to 6 runny stools a day) and I had decided to give just a few more days and if they did not firm up I would review the situation. Well the very next morning there was blood in her poop. Agghhhh. The vet said as we had changed the food that was the first place to look. We fasted her for a day and put her back on the Nutro (we had some left) Things went back to normal almost immediately, 2-3 normal, formed poops per day.

At the moment she is still on the Nutro, she has just been spayed and we don't want any more upset the the moment. I have asked my supplier for a trial sample of Acana puppy food, but we will stay on the Nutro until the stitches are out. we have about 3 weeks worth left, so we will use it up.

But then what? Any ideas? Try Acana? Stay on Nutro (that's what the vet says but then they sell it......)?

Katie and Bonnie

PS she was on Nutro in the first place because that was what the breeder had her on.

Views: 190

Replies to This Discussion

Katie, did you check the feeding guidelines when you were transitioning? You feed less of the Orijen than the Nutro. Is it possible you were feeding too much? 
Typically with foods that are so very different, we recommend that you not take more than a week to switch. And you need to calculate the amounts carefully, you can't just feed equal amounts of each, for example. 

I fed Nutro for 19 years, but after it was sold to Mars, and the 2007 recalls, I no longer felt comfortable feeding it, and I can't advise anyone else to use it either. 

Can you get Fromm in your area? The Fromm Puppy Gold might be a good choice, since it seems Bonnie does better with grains and less protein, and it's similar to the Nutro in terms of macronutrient percentages and ingredients.. Forget the "large breed" formulas, you don't need them unless she's expected to top 90 lbs as an adult, lol.

I will look up Fromm.

I didn't realise we didn't need large breed puppy. She will not be huge I think. She is 16 kg at 5 and half months.

You don't need "large breed". :)

It's possible. I'll check on the packet. Bonnie is VERY skinny, and we have always fed at the top of the range plus a bit.

Would that cause that much upset?

I would not think that feeding too much would cause blood in the stool, but it's possible. It could cause loose, frequent stools. But I wouldn't try Orijen again at this point. 

Tara didn't do well on Origen either (loose poops)  but does fine with Acana.  So if you determine, as Karen suggested, that the portion amounts are appropriate and she is still experiencing problems you might give the Acana a try.

It's good to hear Tara does well on Acana, as we can get that here. Which one do you feed?

Right now it is Wild Prairie but I'm thinking of switching to something without fish soon.

On the other hand, we changed the cat food too, from Iams to Orijen, and Kitty, our old cat who was losing his fur...we put it down to old age....has grown all his fur back and is jumping about like a kitten again!

And that is thanks to you Karen so that you very much on Kitty's behalf!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service