DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

When we first brought Tucker home, he was on Canidae--so we stuck with that for a few months but his stools never firmed up....so, we switched to TOTW and both he and our older dog seemed fine on that.  However, they did seem to be eliminating more in a day.  So, from all that I read on this group, we decided to transition to Orjien (not 100% which one at this moment, as I am not at home) so that they ate less = less to clean up.  We are 100% switched over for about 1 week now and poor Tucker's droppings are so mushy  :(  and therefore his anal glands smell awful.  Has anybody else had this happen with Orjien?  Do I need to wait longer for his tummy to adjust...we did the normal 2-1 week transition.  I was excited about them eating less of a better food, but not if it upsets his tummy.  Any other suggestions?  Should we try Acana or do you think it's too similar and would have the same issues?  Should we just go back to TOTW since they both seemed fine on that or try something else?  We have not tried Fromme....maybe that would be better?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...as I hope to go out tonight or tomorrow night to buy new food because I can no longer stand the smell coming from his rear.  Thanks!  

Views: 477

Replies to This Discussion

Orijen usually has the opposite effect; some people have found that their dogs' poop is too hard. However, all dogs are different.

How old is Tucker, and how long was he on the TOTW before you switched again to Orijen?

It would also help to know the formulas of both before making a recommendation.

Why does nobody use Wellness here??

Quite a few people feed Wellness. If you do a search of the FG discussions, you'll see many discussions of it, and it is on our recommended list as well.

What gave you the idea that "nobody here" uses it?

I feed my cat Wellness products (grain free) and she loves them and does very well with them. In fact she refuses to eat anything else!

Tara had the same problem with Orijen both the Fish and the Puppy Formula. She does fine on TOTW Wetlands though. I haven't tried the other brands that you are asking about so-no help there...

Daisy had issues with Orijen as well but mostly she did not like it and we ended up mixing it with, dare I say, Eukanuba as that is what she came home with however we switched totally to Acana (Pacific) about 1-1/2 years ago, she gobbles it up and has nice solid "little" poops.

Lisa, does the formula you're using contain grains?

No it's grain free.

The difference may be that Daisy does do better on a grain-free food, but one with slightly less protein and slightly more carbs than Orijen. I think that might work for Karen's Tucker, too. TOTW is also lower in protein and higher in carbs than Orijen, and he did well with that, so Acana might be just right. There might be less stool volume, too, because most of the Acana formulas do contain less carbohydrate than most of the TOTW formulas, and carbs are primarily what contributes to stool volume.

When we had Pooper Doodle, we lovingly call Bella that, she pooped 5 or 6 times a day the first 2 days...formed but not solid. She is feeding Nutro Natural Choice Puppy...I asked her how much she fed her and she answered 6 cups a day!!!! I was flabbergasted. When I told her Daisy eats 2-1/2 cups a day & I did the math and Bella's food would cost 1/2 of what she is spending she is going to  switch to Acana this month when she turns a year old.

I told her to start slow but I also told her while Bella was with us I gave Bella a little Acana and she started pooping less...also she really liked it.

I hope she listens I love that little girl.

I have that conversation at least once a week. People look at the price of a bag of food and never think about the fact that one bag of Orijen or Acana will last twice as long as a bag of the "cheaper" food.

Lucca and Izzy's poo were a tad soft on the Orijen Adult. About a year ago I decided to try mixing Acana with the Orijen. Firmed them right up:) Now their poo is perfect-o...not too hard not too soft and I have absolutely no idea why, I just know that it worked!!!. I also know that Izzy's farts clear the room but that's another story:)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service