DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've heard good things about this brand and thought I would try it.

I opened the bag and the smell is so bad. I won't buy it again just because the smell bothers me. Georgia doesn't show any like or dislike. It's not making her sick. 

Has anyone else experience this? I bought it at Chewy.

Views: 341

Replies to This Discussion

I've never fed a duck based food, so I have no idea. I think the only way you could know if there is something wrong with this particular bag would be to buy a bag of the same formula from a different lot number and see if there is a difference. Or try a bag of duck based food from another brand and compare the smell. Either of those options is going to mean you spend $ unnecessarily.

Duck is a much "gamier" type of poultry than chicken or turkey, so it's possible that it just smells more, and you happen to be more sensitive to the smell than someone else might be. Just guessing here.

Zignature is a very good brand, and there have been no recalls of any of their formulas. 

Thanks Karen. I've been feeding Orijen and just thought I would change it up because it's a little cheaper and I've heard good things from several people. But I'm too sensitive, it smells more like duck manure than duck meat to me. I might even donate the bag of food.

I'm glad you asked this question because I was thinking about switching to that same food from Limited Ingredient Duck by Natural Balance.  If it smells gross, I think I'll pass.  I would try Now Fresh but they don't have ltd ingredient and my DJ is allergic to Chicken.  My local store doesn't have Orijen and neither does Chewy.  I always get from Chewy but I also like to get something my local store has in case of emergency.  Any other ideas???  I know there was not a recall for Natural Balance but since they are from the same manufacturer involved in the Euthanasia issue, I'm thinking I should change.  It sucks because it was hard to find something he would eat and he eats this and eats their Dental Bones.  He is very fussy and I don't want to start cooking for him, I already make 2 separate meals every day cause me and my husband eat very differently

Wellness Simple Solutions is an LID food that many dogs here have done well with. I like it much better than Natural Balance, and the nutritonal profile is much better.  It's available just about everywhere, including Petco, PetSmart, and Chewy. They have 4 formulas: Turkey, Salmon, Lamb and Duck. 

Hmmm used tried that a while ago, think I'll try it again, thanks!

You might try Petflow for Orijen.  I switched from Chewy to Petflow for Acana (priced similarly; free shipping) and they do carry Orijen.

I think I'm going to Fresh Now

Acana is a bit cheaper too. I did not like the smell of the fish based one so I rotate between Meadowlands and 

Grasslands are the two I use. The dogs have been on these for years and have had no problems. I feel very confident with Champion. I get it delivered by a NJ based company.

Hi,

I feed my doodle, Zignature Lamb....admittedly, the smell is not great, however, doesn't stop my Atticus from eating it, and he's absolutely thriving...he couldn't tolerate Orijen and Zignature is great!

One consolation for stinky food...dogs really like most things that stink, lol. 

Off topic here - but I had a Scottish Terrier once who found an old sheep carcass when we were out walking & got up in the middle of it & refused to come home! We lived out in the country then & I could leave her & trust that she'd find her way home. She eventually did, just smiling & tongue lagging -- UGH! huge bathing episode commenced immediately! LOL

When I fed Zignature Kibble, I only fed Lamb or Venison.  Interestingly, I’ve been feeding her Zignature canned Lamb for a few months now.  I got some of the Zignature canned Duck and she ended up vomiting real vomit about 8 hours after eating. I actually saved the vomit in a doubled zip lock bag and froze it.  I know I’m crazy.  LOL  Just wanted it in case I needed it!

Wonder if Duck is a difficult protein to digest for dogs?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service