DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My family and I are enjoying being first time dog owners. We have a 9 mo male goldendoodle, it's been wonderful.  I had him neutered on the 9th, and he was doing fine - wound looks good, energy, eating normal...  On the 18th he ate 1/2 his breakfast, and refused food since.  I'm having a hard time getting him to drink more too.  He's eaten a couple of favorite biscuits (lamb/rice), and I made him rice with broth, and put some broth in his water.  He's lethargic and doesn;t want to go out.  Of course, since he's not eating much, he not pooping much, but doesn't seem to be a problem there (we know when his stomach is upset, from 1 end or the other...).  I'm wondering, is this reduced testosterone from the neutering? A secondary infection? Doesn't seem to be in pain anywhere...I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow morning unless there is a complete turn-around tonight.  Any insight/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Views: 725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our prayers for a fast recovery. He is really sweet.

IN my opinion you will never regret getting your dog checked out at the vet, only not getting him checked. Granted I am for sure an over reactor when it comes to my dog but without a doubt if Jack was acting lethargic and not eating, we would be in the ER to be checked....

it is possible to get an internal infection that is not seen on the surface, though I have no idea if that is the case. 

I personally would start with taking his temp to see if he has an infection. There are many things that can cause infection with any type of surgery, so it could be systemic and not necessarily visible at the incision site.
As for fluids, I too would be squirting water down his throat, especially if he does have a temp of >102.5. Turkey blaster, plastic medicine dropper, baby bulb syringe, (you'd have one if you have a baby in the family) use whatever it takes. As for food, I saw one great suggestion on here the other day....baby food. Some nutrients and fluids in most of them. I had some leftover jars that were about to expire this week, so I've been using them as food toppers for my guys.
Otherwise, I hope you have a good night with him and your Vet has some answers in the morning.
Good tip, thanks.

Thank you to all who have responded.  I did take pup to the vet this evening (thankfully, regular hours until 10 on sat & sun evenings).

Even though his temp is 103.1, and he's lost 5 lbs in the 11 days since the neutering surgery, the doc didn't think there was anything serious going on.  He gave him some canned food (I normally do dry), and Pilot gobbled it up (so much for the 'he's not eating thing"...).  He did say that the testosterone went from 60 to zero, so to speak, and it could be affecting his behavior.  Said to watch him over the next 3-4 days and if no improvement, bring him back.  I think I can sleep better tonight.

To clarify, he is drinking a bit, and he's glad to eat some of the special things we give him once in a while.  His incision site looks great.  So, I've got a turkey baster just in case...  I'm ready to have me energetic pup who pulls me on walks again...

Glad to have found this community!

I'm glad your pu ate and the vet thinks he's OK. Do keep a close eye on him for now and hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

I'm glad the vet doesn't think there is anything serious going on, but with those hours, I have to ask: Is this a Banfield vet? Was it your regular vet?

I have never heard of a dog becoming lethargic, running a temperature, and not eating or drinking from a neuter surgery, and certainly not where the symptoms start 9 days later. That just doesn't sound right to me. Certainly, lower testosterone would not cause a fever.

what is wrong with Banfield vets?

Check the internet reviews. A lot of dissatisfaction. Personally, I don't think the quality of care is very good or very personal. Kind of a cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all- pets approach, with young new inexperienced vets who come and go. Fine for things like shots, (if you don't mind having a vaccine cocktail every year, I doubt that they do titers very often), but not so great for diagnostics or treatment tailored to the individual. SOP for everything.

Banfield is owned by Mars, Inc., which is not a great endorsement. 

Not Banfield, just a larger (regular) practice in my area that can support extended hours. The doc was not his regular (but, being that he's a pup, he's only seen his regular doc 3 or 4 times since we've had him). Last night's doc was older than his regular doc. Specifically told me he could run $200 worth of test, but didn't think anything serious was happening, and just to watch him for the next few days.
I'm up early (usual for me) so I'll check on him and report later.

That is good news.  Keep us posted.

My dog was recently neutered at the age of two when his testosterone level was a lot higher than your pup's and he has had no issues whatsoever.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service