DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am researching the specifically the australian labradoodle. We want to make sure it is the right breed for our family. I was very exited to find this breed but then I found a bunch of people saying they are not a breed, and they don't even breed true, is it true, poodles still have to be introduced?

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The labradoodle originated in Australia and was bred as an allergy free seeing eye dog. I have a beautiful labradoodle pup about nine months old. The best thing to do is go to the Australia Labradoodle Association website and put your question there. When I was considering my new pup I used the ALA website to find an ethical breeder as there are many bad breeders out there so beware. The site is at http://www.laa.org.au/ I hope this helps. Kitty and Brandy.
Thank you, do you know any ethical breeder in the US?
I know there are several on this site... but it is hard to know who is a breeder and who is an owner or just a lover!!
look at the new group called 'labradoodles for sale'--most if not all with pups for sale are excellent--but double check yourself =)

ALSO look at: http://www.goldendoodle-labradoodle.org/Goldendoodle_Labradoodle_Pr...
They are not an AKC recognized breed. No, there are always "throwbacks"-especially in the early litters-especially for coat types. Some breeders will reinfuse with poodles to get a coat correction. This happens most frequently with a first generation labradoodle female (lab x poodle), who is then backcrossed to a poodle-usually for either size or coat correction. The progeny of this cross are called F1bs. The Australian labradoodles from Australia may have had several other breeds "infused" as well. However Kitty is correct. Check out the ALA website as well as IDOG.biz. There is a lot of information there. Good luck. The fact that they are not a breed is not so important, unless you have "show" aspirations. The most important thing is to find an ethical breeder.
Hi Gabe, Welcome to Doodle Kisses.
You are talking to the wrong people! LOL You will hear many (pure-breed snobs) tell you horrible things about Doodles...and you will find, in your research, that there are many variations on the breed. Yes, it is a breed. It is not recognized by the AKC and some people are working toward that, but I personally am not concerned with buying papers...I want a great dog...and that is what you get with a Doodle.
An Australian Multigen is only from the lines that originated the breed, so you can check the pedigree of the dogs and determine if they are true Australian multigens. Or, you will see that Aust. Multigens are sometimes bred to American Labradoodles...this is done to bring new blood into the mix.
You might be interested in reading the Canine Diversity Project to be better prepared for the nay-sayers that you will inevitably meet.
But, rest assured, the Labradoodle IS a breed! And it is a wonderful combination of lines.
They start at F1 (Lab X Poodle) and generally add a Poodle back in, which is an F1 X Poodle = F1B. When you breed Labradoodle to Labradoodle you begin to add to the generation and soon you will get a multigen.
American multigens are mainly Lab and Poodle mix. Aust. MGs are an infusion of at least 6 different breeds. Some American breeders are infusing these other breeds.
This breed is just being founded and you will find many variations, which is why the AKC won't recognize them. But, Doodle people can spot an F1, an F1B or Multigen...almost every time!
Best wishes in your research.
By the way, you can meet all types of Doodles by attending a Doodle Romp. Contact Doodle breeders in your area and ask if one is scheduled soon.
GAbe - Also check out: http://www.ilainc.com/index.html for some more great info on both Australian and American Labradoodles. The thing that most excited me about the Australian Labradoodle when I first found the breed is that, at it's inception, it's intended purpose was to be a hypo-allergenic guide or therapy dog. A lot of the AKC breeds, though wonderful dogs, have hundreds of years of a specific 'purpose' bred into them...gaurding, herding, hunting, etc... When you are choosing a family pet, most of those attributes are just not necessary. The fantastic temperaments, loyalty, and non to low shed coats make the labradoodle a fantastic choice for a family pet. There are some really great breeders out there that take the development of this breed very seriously and strive to produce the healthiest and happiest dogs possible. And then, sadly, there are some not so good ones. Take your time and do your research and ask lot's of questions! There are some really good breeders on this site also (both Australian and American), just go to the groups tag above and look for the 'breeders' group to see it's members. You can find info on their web sites also. Good luck in your search! :)))
Diane...that's what I had been telling people too, but I realized that since Breeder's Group is private ONLY members can see inside. So non-breeders/non-members are unable to see the list of breeders.
Hello and Happy Friday Adina! Ooops - ya know, I even checked this with another group that I wasn't a member of, but didn't take into consideration the private thing. Live and learn. :))
And then.. there's goldendoodles!!! apologies for butting into a LD discussion........ just couldn't help myself as they also are so incredibly wonderful and carry many of the same traits as the multigen LDs.
That's true, Judith! I breed Goldendoodles too and they are wonderful dogs!
So, we might as well also introduce the North American Retriever...a Labradoodle X Goldendoodle puppy, aka: NAR.
Beverly Manners is the person most responsible for developing the australian labradoodle. Her website is www.rutlandmanor.com . Take a look it will answer all your questions.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service