DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Penny has just started chewing EVERYTHING. She has plenty of toys, but she has been on a chewing spree involving our carpet & rugs.

What methods do you use to avoid this problem?

Thanks, Ashley

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may be that she's teething, and it's painful. Make sure she has plenty of her own safe chew objects. Nylabones, femur bones, antlers, puppy teething toys. When you catch her chewing something inappropriate, stop her, and give her one of her own chew toys. Don't allow her to have unsupervised run-of-the-house.

You can make a great teething toy with an old washcloth. Just soak it in water, wring it out thoroughly, tie it in a big knot, and freeze it. Most puppies love these.

She has a nylabone and antler. She does chew on them & while she's chewing I'm usually reading a book on the couch. Next thing I know, I look over to her again & she's chewing the rug instead.

Washcloth is a good idea-- I'll try that :)

We had to resort to Tabasco sauce for the out of doors.  Harpo chewed everything, including the deck, fences,  and baseboards in the laundry room.  It is a difficult time for them, and for you.  It does pass.  No unsupervised time anywhere.  Lots of things you want them to be chewing and a frozen washcloth sounds great.  I also give my dogs bully sticks (outdoors) for 20 minutes a day.  That is usually all they want and they are used to returning a chew object to me after their time is out.  Bully sticks are placed in a zip lock bag until the next day.  Keep trying new things.  Don't get depressed, it is just a stage she is going through she is just trying to make herself comfortable.  Substitute, substitute, substitute.

I've also had success with the bitter apple spray, if she keeps going for things other than her designated chews.  It doesn't deter some dogs, but it's worked with both of mine. 

Beasley is teething now, too.  She has a boatload of safe chewing options, but when she's attempted to chew something she shouldn't, I'll redirect her to the appropriate chew.  If she goes back after I say "no chew" once or twice, I spray the bitter apple on whatever she's just tasted and it stops her.  That's only happened a couple times now, because I think she's started to associate the "no chew" with the spray. 

i did the same as KAren with the washcloth,, i soaked it in chicken broth instead of wate which added some flavour,, used washclothes with no fabric softener added...just lots of watching and lots of tasty things to chew,, it will end!

First of all, I'm pleased that you have a "Penny".  I have one too and she was a hellion of a puppy.  She has destroyed the edges of the area rug in our dining room.  I sew it back up because I'm not buying a new rug until I'm sure we are past this.

Have you tried Bitter Apple spray?  It has worked well for us but some dogs actually like it.  The only other thing that was worked for us is close supervision and growing up.  My Penny is almost two now and actually looks guilty when she gets in trouble these days.

I'd also suggest the Bitter Apple...most dogs hate the taste of it.  While she's going through this stage I agree with everyone that you will need to closely watch her and correct and distract the second you see her chewing where she shouldn't.  When you're not able to supervise I would crate her for now or put her into whatever you use as your "time out" place. 

When Charlotte was a puppy, we cordoned off an area where she was free to roam. First, though, we rolled up the area rug in that space.  When Wally was little, he was obsessed with one particular corner of a rug. I remember taping it down with wide, blue painter's tape, and spraying the tape with Bitter Apple. Sometimes you just need to be creative, and never leave them unsupervised with access to something that they find enticing. We also provided bully sticks -- the ones by Bravo, which don't give off an odor. Things will get better. Just hang in there!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service