DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My 13 month old labradoodle was attacked as i took her out to go potty.  Fortunately, the dogs owner immediately raced to his dog and was able to minimize the damage.  I also grabbed my dog in my arms so her body was protected although the dog still had her ear in his mouth.  My dog's ear was chewed up and leg bitten...would have been much worse except owner fought with everything he had to release his dog.  My dog went to ER and attacking dog's owner went to ER in ambulance.  Anyways, my question is how do i deal with my dog so she doesn't now bite or go on the attack.   She now growls at every sound and at everything that moves.  I'm out of town so for now i'm keeping her inside with me.  ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated.   I'm afraid if another dog tries to play with her...she'll think its another attack.  I live in Kalamazoo MI area if anyone knows any professionals who would be helpful please recommend.    Thanks In  Advance!!

Views: 865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am sorry to hear this. I would advise consulting an expert.

How scary and I hope your Doodle gets through this ok and you too!

I'm so sorry to hear this. This kind of thing is always in the back of my mind when we head out for walks. I hope you find the right help and that your doodle is mending physically and emotionally. Good luck

I agree with F, it may be good to contact a trainer and work out a plan to get through all of this. So sorry that it happened, what a terrible thing!

I'm so sorry that this happened...how horribly frightening for all of you.  I would actually call my Vet and ask her to refer you to a certified Behaviorist.  They are Vets with advanced degrees who really understand canine behavior.  I think one visit to get advice about how to move forward should be all you would need, but I really don't think many regular trainers would necessarily have the expertise to advise you.  We had one visit with a local Behaviorist with a Specialty Hospital in our State, and it was so helpful and informative to us.  Good luck.

Just made an appointment here with animal behaviorist at University of Illinois. Meeting tomorrow to see how she does with a monitored playdate. May not be easy with e-collar she has to wear but I want to do the right thing asap.  

I think that's perfect...please let us know how you make out.  I would pursue having the owner of the attacking dog cover the cost of this therapy....if he carries Homeowners insurance it would likely cover the expenses due to his liability (I assume there was some "fault" on his part or this would not have happened).

Sounds good!

Excellent!  So sorry this happened.

I am so sorry this happened to you & your Doodle. I think the monitored play date sounds liek a good idea. I hope she heals up well.

:(   this is sad to hear but glad that you are o.k. and your doodle too.  Both of my dogs have been attacked - Rooney when just a puppy and the other dog grabbed him by his jaw and shook him - snapping off a tooth and gashing the inside of his mouth.  Nothing as serious as what you just went through - I love the idea of professional help and I think your attitude going forward will be key.  Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks for all the replies.  The dog owner has been by to make sure I'm ok and Shelby is ok.  Offered to do whatever I need done.  I'll submit vet bills and behaviorist bill and hope all goes well.  I believe they are just tenants so probably no homeowners. He apologized profusely as he was waiting for the ambulance and again when he stopped by.   In addition, he was ticketed for having his dog off leash and emergency room visit.  He was at the edge of his garage which is about 20 feel from where we were off of my back deck.  He said his brother just rescued the dog from TX.  I'm trying to get a copy of police report but have to file freedom of information to get it.  So far, behaviorist says she should do good since I've had her around lots of dogs...day care and friends and this wasn't her only doggy encounter.  Her plan is to walk her first...introduce her to her dog and then to a cattle dog she plans to have for the day.  Fingers crossed and hoping for the best!!  Thanks again for all the replies.  I'll let you know more tomorrow.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service