DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Lexi was spayed on Monday, and while surgery went well, she's been emotionally distressed since we brought her home. The vet's office told us that she didn't come out of anesthesia super well, and that she cried and cried all day - that someone had to sit with her constantly. They told us it could take 48 hours to pass, which should be mid-way through today. The vet also said doodles are particularly sensitive and aware animals, and that her complaining is more likely emotional than physical.

Still in a day and a half, she has escaped from two different cones, she is scratching her sides until they are raw and pink, she has cried off and on all night for two nights, despite even putting her in bed with us. AND, she has these bursts of energy between pain killers when she races around the house jumping on and off furniture and banging her head into things trying to escape from the cone. She has even figured out how to use one cone to scratch her stitches. When we take her outside to go to the bathroom, she tries to race around the yard and only wants to dig frantically in the snow. I've been letting her dig because it seems like a good way to expend some of this nervous energy. We are afraid to leave her alone for a minute because she gets so frenetic. I'm afraid she's going to pull her stitches out...

The vet gave us sedatives, but said we should try not to use them until after the pain meds end after five days. She said Lexi will definitely need them to sleep and chill out at home. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to calm this miserable little pup? Any ideas how to stop her from scratching her belly raw?

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OH NO! I wish I had some advice for you! I know how bad it makes you feel when your pup is not herself. Rue gets spayed tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck.

Hang in there!

Hi Michelle, How is Rue doing? I hope she is well post procedure! Shari

I can sure relate to the 'nervous wreck' feelings.  Yarrow was supposed to be spayed yesterday and at the last minute she escaped the yard to see the nice man next door clearing snow.  Next thing I knew she chewed and swallowed something - blowing the whole 'nothing to eat after 11 pm' prior to surgery.  She is rebooked for Tuesday.  I so wanted to get it over with. 

I'm thinking of you and Rue today.

We used the "inflatable collar" after MIlo's neutering. It was a little less invasive and less clumsy. Its available at any Petco or Petsmart...

Every day will get better with Lexi....Sounds like she is having a tough time....

Good Luck, she'll be fine....

You could try putting a onesie (human) or a t shirt (tie at bottom) to keep her from scratching. Did the vet mention benadryl ? May help with the itch and may sedate her a little. The dose is 1 mg/lb every 8 hours.

Invest in an inflatable collar, it is well worth the money. At some point in every dog's life, chances are they will need one again, and if not, it's worth the money just to know your dog is so much more comfortable.

Most pet supply stores sell anti-itch cortisone sprays. That will help the itching and scratching at her sides. It's most likely related to being shaved for the surgery, even though it may not be the same area. 

Oh poor girl...and poor you.  I am so sorry that she is so uncomfortable.  Hopefully the great suggestions below will help give her some comfort...thinking of you Shari!

Hi everyone, Thanks for the tips. I just talked to the vet's office. They have suggested I put Lexi in a t-shirt and knot it so that she can't reach her belly. They said that a dog this intent on getting to her sutures likely won't be deterred by the inflatable rings, but I may get one anyway. They also want me to crate her or contain her in the kitchen if she keeps getting frenetic and running all over the place. This makes me a little sad because she really was comforted by sleeping with us last night, and if I crate her, she won't have that comfort (although I can't be sure she won't jump off the bed again...) Poor puppy. I know it will pass, but it's hard to see her so unhappy.

Good luck with the T-shirt. It did not work for my foster when she was spayed, no matter how I adjusted it, but maybe you will have better luck with Lexi. I have found the T-shirts and other articles of clothing work better for the males than the females, due to the location of the incision, lol. The inflatable collar worked great for my female foster, and she could sleep comfortably with it, too. 

Okay, I'll pick one up today. There are a few good, local pet stores just a few minutes from my place. Thanks for the tips. 

If she was comforted by sleeping with you, I would stick to that plan and just contain her when you are in the kitchen with her.  

Yarrow usually sleeps in her own bed upstairs in my bedroom, but after her surgery I'm going to sleep downstairs on the futon mattress - which I'm going to take off the frame and put directly on the floor.  Her spay is next week.  It was supposed to be today but she found and ate something - d'oh!  I don't know what it was but she chewed and swallowed before I could get to her.

I forgot to ask my vet about sutures.  Do you have to take Lexi back to get sutures removed and if so when?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service