DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Trav and I are taking a class in K9 Nose Work.  This is a for-fun class, not to be confused with drug sniffing, cadaver-finding, or other working-dog trainings.  (And would you really want your dog to alert on a car truck while you were on your daily walk?!)

In a large room, a number of boxes are scattered around, one of which contains a high-value treat.  The dog searches, finds the treat, gets rewarded and praised.  It’s fun for the dog, and fun to watch other dogs do their searches.  There are more advanced trainings, but this box training is the beginning.  It’s a good class for dogs that are dog-reactive or shy as they work one by one, staying in the car between turns.  The dogs in Trav’s group are at various stages in their training.  One little terrier is a no-nonsense worker and just trots in, finds the treat, and is finished.  There’s an old lab that wanders arthritically around, only mildly interested in treats. 

Trav loves playing ‘find the fox,’ at home, and will patiently search the living room til he finds the hidden toy.  This game didn’t translate at all to the nose work.  Trav was delighted to see a row of people sitting in the training room and wanted to say hello to everybody.  After some coaxing, he found the treat.  He loves going to this training, but I can’t say he’s a star searcher.  He did do a lot better at our last class and found the treats in practically record time. 

If you continue on in the Nose Work, the dogs learn to search the perimeter of the room, vehicles, etc., and to search for three specific scents–birch, anise and clove–and there are trials and competitions.

Has anybody else taken their dogs to this training?  

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been thinking about it. We did a one session K9 nose work class a while back with Monty and he just loved it. I've been thinking about finding an extended class but what discourages me is the fact that the dogs need to stay in a crate to await their turn. Monty is not a crate dog. But he had an immense fun during that one session.

Yes, I'm wondering what we'll do in warm weather.  We don't have a portable crate, and Trav would probably hate it.  He's used to staying in the car for short periods of time, but that won't work in summertime. 

Where do you do it in Portland

I bought a portable crate for Monty in the spring and I can't make him go in at all. He would go into the wire crate just fine.

Maybe set it up in the house and see if they will use it as a den?  We always have a soft sided crate set up in the house, both of mine take turns using it all day :)  When you practice nosework, hide the one of the treats in the crate :)

Try the Crate Games DVD.  It worked wondes for us.  Both of my boys hated the crate, they wouldn't go in without being shoved in!!  We worked through the exercises on the DVD and both of them happily crate when we go to Agilty classes and trials, and to our Scent Games classes.

Julie, this class is on Columbia Blvd. in Northeast Portland.  If you google K9 Nose Work Portland OR, you can find various locations and times.  :)

This sounds like great fun!  Gavin knows how to find-the-pee-on-the-telephone-pole but he is hopeless on treats.  I try...I play the shell game with him using a treat and red solo cups.  He randomly knocks them all over.  Oh well!

Gavin has his own ideas of what's fun!!  Too funny about the cups...  :)

Jane did this with Guinness, and he was quite good at it. I know she posted about it here, I'm sure she'll comment when she sees this discussion tomorrow.

I think it sounds like a fabulous activity to do with your dog, it exercises their brains, and their bodies as well as giving them a chance to put their natural talents to work. And of course, anything you do with your dog strengthens the bond between you. Win-win-win! I look forward to hearing more about Traveler's and your experiences with this!

It's really a stress-free training--which I think is one reason why the dogs enjoy it so much.  Plus--they get lots of treats and praise, just for following their noses!  Sweet!!!

This sounds like fun.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service