DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone... being new to this site and a potential Doodle owner I am here to do some homework. Can anyone please tell me what characteristics, if any, differ between Labradoodles and Goldendoodles... generally speaking... physical, social, intellectual etc.   I do realise there are characteristic differences between every dog as there are between people, however am after some general info regarding likely differences between the pair of breeds. In particular i have read a lot about Goldendoodles being quick to chew on shoes, furniture etc but have not found similar literature related to this trait in Labradoodles. Can this be one difference? or perhaps I just haven't found that section for labradoodles yet? lol

I look forward to hearing from you !

Debi :0)

Views: 3235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I once did a poll on which is more likely to have a propeller tail wag when happy, and it ended up being a wash.  Porter is an ALD who rarely chews stuff--had a tiny phase of it and now only if he is extremely bored and being ignored...but not when we leave him alone.  My neighbor's GD never ever chews on stuff in the house even if he is bored but will eat plastic outside.  Both bark and get nervous at strangers and then warm up quickly and love attention.

By "chewing on stuff" I mean inappropriate stuff.  They love their bones, bully sticks, antlers. 

Oh, and mine is gentle with stuffed animals--but kills real ones--and neighbor's GD bites off and destuffs stuffed animals' faces only (!?).  My in-law's full Lab shreds stuffies to a million pieces :-)

It's the dog not the breed from what I have experienced.  I've had three GDs through puppy stage.  Rosie chewed and tore up everything she could get in her mouth.  Her half sister Maggie never destroyed anything although she is a thief and will steal socks, shoes or whatever I leave around.  Now with another puppy, KoKo, I'm going through chewing baseboards, rocking chair, sticks, and an antique Governor Winthrop desk.  No amount of bitter spray deters her.  It's a stage and it too will pass.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.
By no means am I an expert (Sedona is the only dog I've had in my entire life) - but since she's a Labradoodle, I'll share her "chewing history".  Sedona is a 17 month old multi-gen LD.  Even as a tiny puppy, she did not chew inappropriately.  She'll steal socks, shoes, etc., but just carries them around until we notice, then willing gives them back - slobbered up a bit but not damaged.  The exceptions to this are paper, which she loves to shred, and stuffed toys.  She'll "kill" a toy in nothing flat, so she's no longer given any stuffed toys as I don't want to worry about her swallowing the stuffing.
You have just accurately characterized my Goldendoole.  Exactly the same!
I'm not sure about similarities and differences between Labradoodles & Goldendoodles because I only have a Goldendoodle.  My Goldendoodle didn't ever chew anything she wasn't supposed to.  I guess I got lucky, but all of my shoes, slippers, and household items are all still in tact.  lol.

Yes, just ask likely.  While there is no hard data on this and there are always exceptions...both Goldens and Labs are mouthy, chewy breeds.  But a lot of breeds are prone to destructive chewing, not just retriever mixes.  And puppies, in general, are major chewers.  Dogs chew...some more than others. It's part of a dog's nature for the most part, but usually with maturity many don't have such a STRONG desire to chew everything.

If you provide plenty of appropriate chew items, keep valuables out of reach, supervise your pup whenever it is free in the house, and crate the puppy when you can't supervise it, you will greatly minimize/prevent destructive chewing.

As to other differences, I would say they are minor.  While golden retrievers and labradors do have significant differences and breed enthusiasts would each have a long list of differences, I think for the average pet owner they are similar enough that once you add another breed's characteristics into the mix (Poodle) they become pretty similar.  I would say that in the first (F1) generation Goldendoodles TEND to have a softer coat whereas labradoodles tend to have a less soft coat.  They are both very social and tend to be intelligent thanks to the poodle half -- but there are exceptions to this too.

Your best bet is to find a responsible breeder (What to Look for in a Breeder) and meet the parent dogs and if the parent dogs seem like the types of dogs you would like to have and you work with the breeder to pick the right puppy from the litter you should get what you're looking for.

if you are just looking for personal experience-  my labradoodle is not a chewer. Loves bones, bully sticks  and to some degree rope pull toys or stuffed animals but not household stuff,shoes socks etc. A plastic toy in the yard ( a frisbee) he did chew up into pieces. Good luck- have fun!
Hi Debi, We have two labradoodles. We have always had labs in the past and loved them, so that is why we went with a Labradoodle. I am no expert on the difference, but I will tell you our Labradoodles chew. Our youngest one, in particular, has to be watched closely around any pair of shoes, but he seems to prefer the most expensive ones :)  One of our bed posts did not fare well during his early puppy days and we have lost a leash or two. The oldest one was not as big of a chewer, but both dogs love to rip toys apart. Bully sticks were my biggest friends during the puppy chewing stages and now I go to the butcher and get bones to satisfy the chewing. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Labradoodle or a Goldendoodle. Good luck!!  P.S. Right after I wrote this, I found the youngest one chewing a bed sheet.

I have one of each. I have noticed that GD's have a tendency to become very attached to one person. The LD's I know (including my own) are generally attached to all family members and not one imparticular - and would love anybody who gave them a treat!

The GD can be more sensitive - but Goldens are more sensitive than Labs.

Otherwise they are very similar. LD can get obsessive about retrieving - as if that was their main aim in life - a true retriever! GD will play fetch because it's a game YOU seem to enjoy - and they just want to make you happy =)

I can't speak about the difference of the 2 - if there is one, I can just share my experience.

I have 3 LDs (1 is my GrandDoodle that was rescued at 4 months and stayed here with me until he was 6 months old) that went through the puppy stage with me - only 1, Charli, chewed a shoelace but nothing else. None of them ever stole socks, undies, etc - I can't explain it, was I just lucky? All 3 are from puppy mills so we never met the parents.

They did start puppy kindergarten at 4 months old. I did puppy proof the house but DH did leave his socks and shoes (it was his shoe Charil nibbled on the lace) and they were rarely out of my sight - could the training be part of it? I believe so.

I believe strongly in training, starting with puppy kindergarten, with every dog no matter the size and breed - training never ends!

I have a Goldendoodle.  He retrieves things-- socks, undies, paper... anything he can get his jaws around.  He's a big chewer BUT mostly on the things he has been taught are okay.  We started teaching him very young-our vet said as soon as he started biting something/someone or chewing something that he wasn't allowed to have, we were instructed to say in a firm bite "no chew" or "no bite" and then replace it with one of his toys.  NEVER give him an old shoe b/c he'll recognize your scent on all the shoes and he'll think they are all okay to chew.  

The only thing that he's "destroyed" that he wasn't allowed to chew was the arm of an old couch-- we actually call it his couch b/c it's in the sunroom where he hangs out.  He's made that room his den.  This sofa is well over ten years old and there was already a small rip that became use with the help of Brinkley-- this happened when we were making the transition from crate to no crate in sunroom.  Other than that, we just watch him to make sure he doesn't eat something he shouldn't have and make sure he has plenty to chew and retrieve. This may sound odd but we can tell when Brinkley has something that he shouldn't have (like a sock) just by the way he runs.  He prances in a different way to try to get past us without us noticing (but secretly I think he wants us to see him and chase him as a game) and  we know right away that he got his paws on something that he shouldn't have.  Good luck picking a doodle!  I love our doodle and would get another one in a heartbeat.  

My labradoodle tries to eat the siding off of our house as well as the kids toys. But his temperment is the the best you could find.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service