DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We have had a pretty rough week between getting Polly spayed and home safely and my mom needing some serious hospital time that left us no choice but to put her into a rehab center last night. As I was signing paperwork this morning they commented that if there is a pet she is close to we could bring it to visit, does not have to be a therapy dog (which we would like to do with Meg anyway).

I just came home from an afternoon visit that I took Meg along for.  She walked in without being told how to behave, she moved slowly and quietly down the very long hall to my mom's room, alas no Oma when we got there.  We waited a bit (she was having her lunch) and decided to go to meet her.  Many people were using their walkers, canes and wheel chairs to get back to their favorite spots.  Meg sat nicely as each one approached, let them pet her head and move on before getting up, if they showed more interest she did a few tricks for them, hands down favorite was when she did a little prayer for them.  We waited at the corner for the aide to walk Oma out and she stayed put with a wildly waving tale on the floor when she saw her.  Loved her and walked her back to the room, when I went to put her in a sit by me she sideled her butt around to be by Oma and then rolled her head back across her lap before slumping down to sleep at her feet.

When we left all the orderlies and a few more guests stopped us and invited her back to maybe show off for a group.  I can not tell you how proud I am of that girl and how she behaved.

I say to myself one more time, "I would love for all the people that give away, toss away, or rehome these dogs to see what they really give up".  I am grateful they did so she is mine but what a loss for them.

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom.  Hope things work out for the best. Congrats to Meg for being so wonderful. I'm sure her presence will bring a lot of comfort to your mom and others.  Meg, you are incredible!!!

Way to go, Meg. She truly sounds like a born therapy dog.

Good girl, Meg! I hope your mom recovers well.

My mom has lived in a senior residence facility for five years now, and she is very comfortable.  This place has over 200 rooms so it is time to move into a smaller facility.  We have found a board and care home with six residents and she is all packed and ready to go, but her room is not yet available.  The dogs love to visit, but I keep them outside.  Many of the residents also have dogs and cats that live in their rooms.  Some cats sit out on the balconies and some of the dogs have fenced areas behind the rooms.  These places are great for our seniors.  My mom is 97 years young.

Good girl Meg! Prayers for your mom....

Sorry to hear about your mom, but what a great girl Meg has been!  I'm sure the folks there are hoping you'll come back.

Meg is truly a jewel. What a treasure she is for your whole family and now for so many at the rehab center. I hope your mother heals quickly. I am sorry you are going through so much.

What a wonderful story, good girl Meg! I'm very sorry to hear about your mom.

This is a lovely story and it gave me chills!  I hope Oma is home soon, but that you keep visiting the other folks there. 

So sorry to hear about your Mom and hope that things continue to improve for her.  Sounds like Meg is a natural and that things went very well.  As you learned on your first visit it is impossible to go into the home and just visit with your Mom as everyone always loves the dogs and you can't just walk on by without letting them have a little time as well.  I would caution you though to get her through the therapy test quickly or at least double check your homeowners policy and make sure you are covered in the event of an accident of some sort at the facility.  Things can go bad very quickly and accidents can happen so you want to be sure you personally are covered.  That is the main reason for the getting her certified with an organization is the insurance.  Best of luck. 

Thanks for insight on that.  We are rural without a lot of access for that but the guy that helped us with Megs pulling at the leash issues knows the woman that does it when she comes to town to I will contact him today and see if he can set us up.

Way to go, Meg!! Sounds like she was a wonderful hit with the residents and I bet she was Oma's favorite visitor :) I hope you go back and I hope your mom feels better soon.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service