DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

What is the recommended minimum size (weight) of a Doodle for providing deep pressure to a child with sensory processing disorder? (Our toddler doesn't weigh much now, but he will 15 years from now!) Also, when it comes to toddlers and Doodles, are the larger dogs more willing to put up with a toddler who might want to lay his head on the dog, or play with his ears, etc? Is there a minimum size you recommend for kids? Thanks for your help! :)

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How exactly would a dog apply this deep pressure?
Do you have a trainer in mind to train the service duties you want the dog to perform?
I'm not sure size of dog would make a difference in tolerance to children... In that even some large dogs might not like being laid on or having ears manipulated. Totally depends on the dog. Do you anticipate your child will need the same sort of service/deep pressure therapy 10 years from now as he needs now?

Great questions, Adina! I'm guessing the dog would apply deep pressure by laying on our son, or giving him a big "hug", or somehow applying pressure to his head with perhaps his paw or head.

I'm waiting on a call back from a service dog trainer that was recommended through a friend of a friend. I'm sure the trainer can help answer questions I have about deep pressure, and the size of the dog. ;)

Do Doodles generally take on one or both of their parents' temperaments? What is the best way to get to know the parents' temperaments? Do breeders generally allow you to spend time with both parents?

I think our son will probably still need deep pressure 10 years from now.

A litter of doodles is like a family of children.  Some kids will get their dad's hair but their mom's nose and their dads legs and their mom's eyes, the dad's temper and their mom's workaholicism.  Or whatever. 

See what I'm saying?  A collection of siblings is the best way to look at the result of a mixing two breeds.  Each will be slightly different, but each will take on various resemblances to their parents.  But they won't be like identical twins or identical octoplets ;-)  Each puppy will vary and some will be more like one parent and others will be more like the other.   No way to predict in advance how the genes will get distributed in the litter or in any puppy.  You just have to find a good breeder who knows dogs and can help you choose the best puppy for your family's needs.

Thanks so much, Adina! I'm so glad I found this forum. :)

I personally would get a standard. I'm in the process of teaching my standard to interrupt me when I am picking at my skin. I have anxiety brought on by Asperger's disorder, and am using him to help me (not the only reason why I got him... just an added bonus). 

All of the standards I have seen have been great around kids. My boy is only 11 months and he was super gentle with an older toddler (4 years old). 

Then again... I'm partial to huge dogs, so I am biased. 

Thanks so much for your input! :) So glad to hear how gentle your dog is around your kids!

I'm in the same boat as far as size goes. I love big dogs and both of my standards are really great and general with kids, despite being very large. Loki is 85lbs and 15 months and Moose is 40lbs and 4months. However like Adina was saying it's more personality, both of my doodles have the exact same parents and their personalities are sooooo different. Even as a puppy Loki was a huge cuddle bum. Big mamas boy who thinks he's a lap dog and is quiet as a church mouse. Moose, the younger one is way more independent and more playful. Both are great personalities and have so many different things about them that make them both good with kids. I would think if you need a dog to apply deep pressure you would need a bigger dog. One of my parents neighbors have a service dog for there son when he has panic attacks and sensory overload and they have a rather large lab. Good luck!

The best size depends on exactly what service activities the dog will perform.  Most service dog organizations are using larger breeds.  Size and temperament are not correlated....I have a standard who is not good with children and it took months and lots of training to get him to the point where he can be trusted. The real issue is temperament, and you would absolutely need a dog who is bred for this purpose.  As you may know, Doodles are not an actual "breed" and temperaments vary considerably.  Even meeting the parents will not give you a reliable indication of how a puppy would be around a child with special needs...it would take more than one generation.   My Guinness's breeder produced dogs who would likely make great therapy dogs....she selected parents who had that temperament and investigated their lines before selecting them as her breeding dogs.  That is unusual, and it's much more difficult to breed for a service dog temperament.  Will the puppy live with you while it is being trained or will it be raised by a qualified service dog puppy raiser?  I think that's an important consideration.  I'll be interested in what the trainer has to say about Doodles as service dogs. 

Wendy, here's a link to some information from the Autism Service Dogs of America that might be helpful (although I'm not sure if your toddler is on the Spectrum, the information is still likely relevant).   They use Labs, Goldens and German Shepherds or mixes of these three breeds, so larger dogs would appear to be most appropriate....www.waycooldogs.com/training-service-dogs-for-autistic-children/

Thanks so much, Jane! Yes, my son is on the spectrum. I appreciate your insight regarding temperament of Doodles. That is obviously very important for us. Can you share your breeder's info or website with me (or perhaps send it to me privately if not allowed in a public post)? At this point, we are planning on having the puppy live with us while we take it through basic obedience training and then service dog training.

Also, since your son is on the spectrum as I am, I can tell you from my experience that I like the touch and feel of large dogs better. Your son probably will find light touches annoying at best (hence deep pressure). In fact, I did not like any of Orwell's brothers or sisters because of the way they touched me. Orwell just licked my face (which I'm oddly okay with) and curled up in my lap multiple times.

Today he still thinks that he is that small lap dog, but I secretly enjoy it better now because of his weight. 

When I was young, I was afraid of large dogs at first. I had met an Irish Wolfhound at my yellow lab puppy's training class that the trainer had and I was terrified because he was eye level with me standing. However, because of his temperament, he realized I was nervous, and just stood next to me so I could make the decision to pet him or not. I quickly got over my fear and that breed has remained my favorite (I will get one in the future). 

I don't know where your son is on the spectrum, but I hope I provided a little insight into what I feel and many others feel on the spectrum according to my research. I'm glad that he is diagnosed early, though, and I know he will enjoy having a dog more than you could possibly imagine. 

Thanks, Kaitee! Great feedback. And yes, I'm sure you're right that he'll enjoy having a dog more than I could imagine. :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service