DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Has anyone else's Doodle experienced bloat? We got a call last Thursday from our kennel while we were out of town for Christmas that our labradoodle Jack was at the vet. After being xrayed, the vet called, said he had bloat, and Jack had immediate emergency surgery! We'd not heard of bloat being a problem for labradoodles. We got back to town yesterday, were able to pick him up from the vet, and he is home with us now. But I am curious to know if any of you have ever had this problem....
Thanks!
Sherri

Views: 974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if you have read the book "Marley and Me", both times that he got bloat it was related to being kennelled while his owners were away, the second time he became symptomatic after they got home home. So, maybe it was stress related? You are so lucky that they caught it in time. I wish Jack a speedy recovery!
HI Stella -
Yes, it's been a long time since I read it (and I didn't see the movie) and I'd forgotten about the bloat. But our vet mentioned that about Marley & Me when we picked him up! I am not sure that stress about being at the kennel was a factor with him. He's been going to the same place since he was a pup, and I believe he LOVES it there, based on how happy he seems when we drop him off there and when we pick him up. And when we dropped by there today he seemed so happy to see the staff, wagging his tail and giving kisses to all of them, etc etc. He just has never seemed stressed at all going there, or to the vet, either! It's just weird... Not sure we'll ever know....
Thanks, Stella!!!
Poor Jack! Wishing him a speedy recovery!
Bloat can be an issue - our vet mentioned it when Bailee was a baby. Her suggestion was to wait and see how big she was when she was 6 mos & we were ready to have her spayed - if she was a "huge Doodle"by then she suggested having her stomach tacked down when we had her spayed.
Fortunately, Bailee is on the rather small side for a Doodle, and we elected against the stomach tacking because she is a VERY slow and dainty eater (takes her forever to eat) so I think between her small size & eating habits, we are safe.
I have had purebred Labradors my entire life prior to Bailee, and never had bloat even mentioned or considered as an issue. Guess it's the down side to crossing two big breeds!
Thanks, Mandy!
A girl at the kennel where Jack was had a lab who'd had bloat... And a few people have reminded me (I've totally forgotten) that in the book Marley & Me he had it... I also read an article that included standard poodles on the list of dogs who are susceptible. Finally, when a lady at the kennel mentioned Jack's problem to a vet who boards his dog there he told her he'd seen several labradoodles with bloat....
So, now we know... Sounds like Bailee shouldn't be susceptbile... (BTW, Jack is (was?) 81 pounds just a few weeks ago when he was in for a yearly checkup, just to give you an idea of his size)...
Happy New Year!
Sherri

I just read that if you suspect bloat to give your dog 2 Gas-X pills and of course rush them to the vet. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service