DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of adding more doolemania to our lives ever since Rosy was about a year old (she's now 2 1/2).  One of the (mental) sticking points we have is that we want another female but have heard that it's difficult for 2 dogs of the same breed and sex to co-exist peacefully.  Maybe this is an old wife's tale- I don't know, so thought it would be best to take it to the experts in our DoodleKisses community.  Please share your experiences (the good, the bad, the ugly) if you have 2 Doods of the same sex living together in your home.  Thanks in advance everyone!

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There have been a number of discussions about this in the past.  I just did a search "male and female doodles" and found one from September 2010.  I don't know how to reference it for you, but you can do the same search.  Maybe others will chime in.  My breeder said that early spay/neuter should make the differences between male and female un-noticeable.  I suspect whether they get along or not depends more on the personality of the dogs.  Two more assertive, dominant dogs would have a harder time no matter what the sex.  One needs to be willing to defer to the other on occasion.  I have one male and one female.  They seem to take turns being the bossy one.  I would take Rosy to meet the puppies.

Thanks for the search reference- visiting the puppies is good advice, thank you.

Thanks F!
Two have female liter mates.  We survived so I'm pretty sure you could as well.  As Linda said there have been lots of discussions previously on this subject and if the dogs are fixed, it doesn't really seem to matter the sex.
Well...we were told it didn't matter, when Chloe was 1 we ended up getting Myla for a 'buddy/company" little Myla took over the house the minute she got here, Chloe was ok whatever. Myla is very jealous and dominant over Chloe and the toys. When we go for a walk Myla HAS to be in the front. Many fosters bring the same breeds/sexes into their home. It probably depends on temperment. They get along but I'm sure Chloe was thinking back to life before Myla. Good luck. I was not going to get a boy dog so we went with it and it's fine.
How does Myla act when you're showing Chloe affection and visa versa?

I have a girls - Samantha was a year old when Charli joined our family (2 years ago yesterday). We don't have any issues between the girls. Not sure if we are just lucky but I do make sure that neither eats out of each others bowl until they both are finished. After they finish they always go to check out what the other one was eating.

They wrestle but never escalates past rough play.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!

I have two females.  We got Ethel when Lucy was a year old.  Lucy is now 2 and Ethel just turned one.  They are the best friends ever.  I love watching them play.

They're so dang cute!!!  Did Lucy meet Ethel before you brought her home?  Were they bff's from the beginning or did it take time?  Also, how did you handle the things that seem like they could get dicey- their beds, food bowls, etc.  Are both Lucy and Ethel middle of the pack temperment-wise, meaning, they're pretty laid back with other dogs in general?

"Love watching them play" is what we're going for...this would be our perfect scenario of course!

We picked Ethel up at the airport and brought her right home (at 11 weeks).  Lucy was excited, wanted to smell her and observe.  Ethel didn't know what to make of the big hairy beast.  We took them outside and Lucy danced around like a loon trying to get Ethel to play.  Ethel thought she was nuts.  We had to keep Lucy leashed around her for a while because she was too rough and would lay on her.  Lucy still does not realize her size and thinks she can sit on my lap anytime.  HA

Ethel actually growled if Lucy got too close to her water bowl, but we stood right there and nipped it each time. I would move Ethel over and encourage Lucy to drink from the same bowl.   After a day or two that stopped.  They don't mind rotating beds, or favorite sleeping spots, which is usually the cool tile floor.  Lucy is a wee bit more dominant, but for the most part they are pretty even kealed (sp).

When one is getting attention, the other one comes running too.  They don't want to miss out on any special attention, but they don't get nasty if the other comes over too.

I am so excited for you.  It will be great to have a playmate.  They tired each other out and we didn't have to exercise them as much because they ran themselves ragged.

We have 2 boys; Stuart - 4 month old Goldendoodle & Rooney 11.5 months Australian Labradoodle.  Rooney can get jealous at times but that has good effects too.  Such as when Stuart eats (and he loves to eat) my picky eater now will eat too - he can't stand for Stuart to do anything without him.  They rough house all over the place.  Lots of jumping, wrestling, etc.  Rooney is a happier doodle for having a brother! 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service