DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Change of plans - getting puppy this saturday! Hints, tips, list of things I need!

Our original plan was for a litter due in April, ready to come home in May - but  "plan B" went into effect on Saturday! Long story short, we are going to pick up "Perry" this saturday. She's a curly haired female F1B.   I am scrambling to get a crate, food, things I'll need right away!  Please chime in if you have hints, tips, things I need to get right away! My Son has NO idea - he is still under the impression it will be May, so this is going to be a scavenger hunt/ puzzle for him to solve along the way to find his early surprise!(enroute to get her)

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we got our first Doddle, Sydney, we bought a microwavalbe plush puppy (our best investment).  We put it in the microwave to heat it and it seemed to calm her down and help her sleep.  A few other items we felt were important,:  2 bowls (one for bibble one for water), safe chewing nylabones, a fleece blanket for security (we gave it to the breeder before we picked her up, and asked the breeder to put it in with the litter and mom so it had the scent left on it), kibble (whatever the breeder was using, then decide on recommended kibble on DK - (Karen in the food group is excellent with recommendations), healthy puppy treats, a crate and a cover for the crate to create a cave environment (if the crate is too big, use the separater so that your puppy is not able to releive itself in the crate and only use the crate as a cave to rest and sleep, limit the hours and try not to crate your puppy for the entire day),  Also, we found that having some play toys with squeekies helped releive the separation stress.  We kept an eye on her while playing with the toys especially if there were squeekers in them.  OH, ENJOY YOUR PUPPY EVERY MOMENT, THEY GROW SO FAST!!!!  But our Doodles, 6 and 7 years old are still puppies to us and play like puppies all the time!   DOODLES RULE!!!!!!!

I used a snuggle puppy. It's a little stuffed dog about the size of your puppy that has a heartbeat and you can put in hand warmers to give the feeling that its another puppy.

To all that Gail mentioned above, you will also need a collar and leash.  Good luck with your puppy, please post pictures :)

yes , for sure.  Collar or harness? are puppies to small for harnesses?  we have a 5 hour ride home!

Oh -  hadn't thought of that thanks!  recommendations?

Paper towels, lots and lots of paper towels.  You will also need some nature's miracle to make sure you clean any potty accidents up really really well and neutralize the smell so the puppy doesn't potty there again.  I used a lot of baby blankets.  I also bought an exercise pen in addition to the crate.  That way the girls had a little more room to run around when I couldn't keep my eyes on them at all times they just went in the x-pen.  Best money I spent.  You'll also need a brush and comb, some potty pick up bags.

oh yea, paper towels

I used a nightlight near Bailey's crate so it wouldn't be so dark and a ticking alarm clock...I know the clock is "old school" but it helped her to calm down some.

Put the clock outside her crate but near it so she can hear it ticking...also we used one of the night lights that turned on automatically at night and off during the day. 

Good luck and catch up on your sleep this week  and ....ENJOY

Old school but works well. No need for fancy computerized puppy heartbeat toys. A sheet or big towel can cover the crate at night to help calm Perry down. We gave ours the 4" bully sticks as puppies, but they both swallowed them in one gulp most of the time. Expensive gulps.

We also set a big ticking clock next to their crates.

My best advice is to put the crate in your bedroom at night. I put a Snuggle puppy in the crate with both my dogs and they never had any problems in the crate. I put the crate right by my side of the bed so they could see me and I could put my fingers in the crate if they got fussy. I also used a night light. I had too many blankets and pads in that crate with Fudge and she was so hot the first night. We ended up just putting in a treat to get her into the crate, a small blanket (just watch to make sure she is not chewing it), something we wore that day, and her Snuggle Puppy. Vern came home with a blanket from his mom and a toy. Bully sticks were my best friend when they were little because they like to chew and nip. I drove 12 hours with our Fudge when we picked her up and 8 with Vern. Both of them were wonderful in the car. I would feed whatever food the breeder is feeding for at least a couple of weeks. Your puppy will have enough changes to get used to, without messing with her food. Our food group will help you pick a better food, if needed. Other than that, LOVE that puppy. It goes so quickly. Good luck!!!

crate and urine cleaner are musts for potty training! Also get really small treats fro training, bowls, blanket, chew toy, collar, leash.

Check out the food group for reccomended food brands, but dont change Perrys food til she has settled in (2 or so weeks)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service