DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

What a traumatic start to Valentine's day. Chewie was attacked by 2 dogs on our walk this morning :(

Every morning I take him for a walk down our street and there're these 2 dogs which always barks (at anyone who walks by). One's a Jack Russell and the other a Spitz. They bark a lot from behind the fence/gate, but I never ever see anyone come and go from that house in the 2 years I had Chewie. I assumed no one lived there and dog is there to guard the place.

This morning, the (remote controlled) gate opened just as we walked pass. A car was backing out of the driveway. Both dogs came charging at me and Chewie. They looked really aggressive, so immediately carried Chewie off the ground. But both dogs surrounded me, jumping to take a bite at Chewie's dangling paws and tail, so I couldn't really get away. Chewie weigh around 22kg (44lbs) so I couldn't carry him for long and he was slipping out of my arms (butt first to the floor). I kicked the Spitz in the head...he was unfazed and kept charging.  At that time, the Jack Russell bit Chewie's tail, he yelped. So I turned to shout and shoo him away, but then the Spitz came in and bit Chewie's leg. Another 2 more yelps. I was on the verge of tears. So carried him up again. All the while, yelling and kicking at the dogs to go away.

Just in time, someone from the house came out and chased the dog back into the house. 

After a thorough check of Chewie, he's fine. No blood. His tail and legs were damp from the attackers drool. I think his thick fluffy fur protected him

I plan to walk with a stick from now on as this could happen again. But I just want to ask the group if there are other ways to better-handle incident. What to do, say or act in such situation?

Views: 492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Poor Chewy and poor you.  I do not blame you for kicking the dog - that would be the first thing that came to my mind.  The only issue with pepper spray is that when you spray it outside (depending on the wind) it goes in your face too and it is terrible!   I am not sure how things work in your part of the world, but I would contact any authorities and change my route if possible.

I am so sorry this happened Kimmy, it's something I think about all the time. I'm glad Chewie is ok. Maybe you two can go do something fun and get both your minds on something positive!! Hugs to you!

Kimmy this sounds terrifying and I'm so sorry it happened to you and Chewie.  I understand the concept of carrying something for defense like the bat or walking stick, but unless you swung it hard enough and connected well enough to actually hurt and stop the attacking dog, wouldn't it just serve to possibly have him turn and attack you?  Is there a way so simply avoid that area altogether?  I would absolutely report the incident to the authorities, though.  The dogs certainly seem dangerous and if it happened to you it could happen to someone else.

I was thinking of using one of my old riding crop/whip which has a loop at the end I can put around my wrist.

Now that you mention I have to hit quite hard to stop the dogs mid-attack, I'm worried I won't be able to do that. On the other hand, I also think the presence of the stick is enough to deter them BEFORE they attack. 

Oh poor chewie! I don't know how you held a 44 lb dog but I'm glad you were able to. I'm glad he is ok. And yes I think you should go talk to them about holding the dogs if they're going to open the gate.

This is how I carry him. Right arm around the chest and left arm under his buttocks. My left arm is my weaker arm, which he why he begins to slip out of this hold after a few minutes.

Love this picture Kimmy!

Thanks BG. It was taken after DH's triathlon event last July.

Even I can lift Luca who is about the same weight. No weigh I can lift Calla though.

So glad he is OK--My husband has used the dog spray--it is pepper spray and really deters them--the kind he had (Halt) left a bright orange paint mark on the dog, so that the owners would know that the dog was chasing someone or that something happened.

I think it is a good idea--but even a good squirt of water will slow down a dog just out of surprise--one of those squirt guns that can fit in your pocket might even work.....I just want to add that although I am sure that picking Chewie up and holding him in your arms was the natural response, I have heard that holding the dog makes them prey and if he was on the ground, they might have recognized his "dogness" and not tried to bite at him the way they did when he was held up off the ground like a piece of meat! I don't know if I could ever test this if I was in this situation, but people have said it many times.

My brother-in-law has a small dog and was charged by a doberman whose owner was walking him but didn't have the strength to hold him back--he threw himself over his dog totally covering her and the dog lost interest! PHEW!!!

Oh yeah, I heard that theory about holding the dog makes them look like prey too. I would dare try it with maybe one dog? But when I saw 2 dogs coming at me in a very threatening way (not a "curious, lets play" way), I had to carry him.

A rottie mix snapped at Chewie once at the dog pool. I didn't pick him up them, but put myself between the dogs and the other dog backed down. But I found it's impossible with 2 dogs circling. What a nightmare.

Oh that is terrible.  I can't imagine how I would react in that situation.  I'm really glad that you and Chewie are ok physically though.  I read somewhere that if a strange dog attacks while on a walk you are supposed to let go of your dog's leash as he can react better that way, but I would probably be too afraid to try it myself. 

Can you avoid that person's house when you go out on your walks?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service