DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Both my doodles love to eat grass. They snack on it off and on, all day, everyday, all year long. We have two types of grass, summer and winter types and they don't have a preference. Just keep chomping away.
They do not vomit hardly at all. Bella does about once every few months, but there's usually a sock, paper, plastic, poop or some other non digestible item in there, but rarely any grass. They both poop out the grass regularly without any problems. I'm wondering if it's a diet /nutrient need of some sort???
Does anyone else have doodles who just like to eat grass, totally unrelated to self inducing vomiting?

Views: 461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gaddy Wompus? I Googled it and yours was the reference that came up : )

Mine eat grass daily also.  Well.... not really grass but weeds we call grass. :-}  They do not vomit.  It is not a stomach upset issue either.  I think they just like to eat their greens.

Mine do too lately.  It is particularly yummy in the summer.  That and dirt. Rosco likes spring/summer dirt...and his poops look like little dirt eggs. 

Camus only likes the fresh growth or what I call the sweet grass.  He never throws up, so I consider it his salad before dinner..

I had a dog who loved to lay in the garden and eat off the vegetable plants.  He looked like he was in heaven. Like a cow just laying there slowly chewing.  Our garden is now fenced in..  ( wonder why).  But Spud does eat grass. I posted some pictures of his grass eating. They really do look like they enjoy it and I think it tastes good.  Yep, sometimes they puke.. oh well.  As long as he does it outside  :)

Joanne I had a dog that loved raw green beans and would move through the garden pulling them off the plants. Of course sometimes she would get half the plant with it! :(

Hunter is a grass eater to, and its always the longer weedy looking grass (pretty easy to find in my yard!).  I always thought it meant a dog was sick when they did that but she has never thrown up after eating it and just seems to like it.  

My two love to nibble on grass too. My vet suggested we add more veggies to their evening meals. Now we add cooked broccoli and green beans to their meal, but if given a chance, they still nibble on grass....Who knows???? I have never owned dogs that eat grass before, only if they wanted to vomit, not because it tasted yummy....

Murph has never eaten grass, but Guinness will once in a while (he picks certain kinds).  It has never made him sick.

Haley likes to eat grass but only if it is tall.  He tears it off by the mouth fulls.  This is discouraged.  His favorite is the chunks that fall off the decks of the tractor and the riding lawnmower.  They are like ambrosia to him.  After DH finishes cutting grass Haley goes out hunting the lawnmower droppings (also discouraged).  In the spring when the grass is lush I spend hours picking them up on 3 acres.  This time of year isn't it isn't too bad.

I have two sheep!  These hounds both love grass.  Woody will eat grass anytime, anywhere, all the time.  When we head to ball field for playtime, you can find Woody grazing along the fence, ignoring the other dogs and toys.  He just loves grass.  Wilson is a bit more picky, but loves to find the sweet, wide blade variety.  Neither one throw up from eating grass - they just like it, so I let them keep chomping.

Two grass eaters here, too.  Doodle goats.  Glad to know we're normal;)  Vet keeps telling me otherwise, but they seem to enjoy it. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service