DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Here in Middle Tennessee, the cicadas are back.  Every 13 years they come with a vengence; I mean, they are EVERYWHERE and it has just started.  Cicada skins are all over the grass, ivy, tree trunks, leaves, you name it - they are on it.  What does this have to do with doodles, you ask?  Well, I was outside and I noticed that Webster & Charlotte and their fellow doodle buddy, Charlie, were eating cicada skins.  Sucking them off the tree trunk like an anteater. 

Uncertain about the dietary implications of cicada eating, I immediately consulted the internet.  According to the cicada website, they are not toxic unless they have been treated with a pesticide.  The website does say "Big stupid dogs love them".  I am not going to promote the eating of cicadas, but I am relieved to know that they are relatively harmless.  Now, if I can keep my big stupid dogs from eating them....

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to post something about this actually!  They are all over our yard and Peri is eating them like candy.  We are trying not to let her eat too many.  Our vet said a few are okay, but that she has been seeing dogs with blockages from eating too many!  So watch your dogs during these next few weeks!
Wouldn't that be more like popcorn with the crunch! Sorry I couldn't resist. We went through this a few years ago so I know what you mean. Gus loved them.
Ew!  :S
eeeeewwwww, they're icky!!!!

Very nice picture Allyson.   We have them here every year. I think they are kind of cool, really.  My son's bug collection is still on display.  That was the most fun I ever had doing my son's projects. Yes, of course I made the project--who else does these assigments late at  night??  And heaven forbid he  have to collect the bugs himself!

Ours Ciccadias are  much deeper GREEN in color, than the yellow shown here.  Must be a different variation.  What bothers me most is the interruption of the beautiful summer silence more than the ancient looks of this insect.  

Oh to be the mother of boys (frogs and snails and puppy dog tails) - thank goodness I was blessed with a girl (sugar and spice and everything nice). I would not have been able to handle the bugs.

I second that!  I'm truly "bugged" by bugs - and frogs and snails and snakes and mice and ...

Thank you for not making me ask what they are and now that I know...really don't want too. I couldn't imagine those things floating in my doodles tummy!!!! So gross!

Thanks for giving me a laugh! My big stupid dog barely eats food, let alone cicada shells, but this is good to know.
Karen - Rooney is picky too but with my luck - Rooney would love them - ewwwww.   I've seen these before in MI - I hope we don't get them in FL!
Jane, I lived in Florida for 40 years and never saw one, so you are safe there. However, I think I'd watch out more for the lizards, frogs, snakes, roaches and mosquitos if we were still there. Here we just watch out for tarantulas and coyotes.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service