DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello!

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba (in Canada) and it gets very cold here.  Already this weekend, we will hit the -30 mark with the windchill.  This is Trix's first winter and we've only had a little snow so far, but she goes nuts in it!  Having lived here my whole life, I'm used to the cold and anticipate walking her twice a day on the days she dosen't go to daycare.  

I've never had a dog before, so I guess I'm just afraid of missing any signs that she is getting too cold and then have her suffer (frozen paws or ears are my biggest concern).

My preference would be to not have to put a coat or boots on Trix.  I've crocheted her a simple black sweater if need be (but I prefer my doodle naked). 

Do dogs show signs when they are too cold? 

She's a very lean 30lbs and her coat was just cut to about 1 inch (in case that matters!)

Thanks!

Views: 904

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much for your input.  I am not sure what to think.  You are right I will have to watch him closely. 

Great tips... I live in NJ but am outside with my doodles all year round.  They also love to play in the snow and can spend hours running around.  I put doggies sweaters on them to keep the snow balls from forming on them... I think I am going to get the booties too !!!

Yeah, come to think of it...the wool sweater I made her will probably just attract more snowballs!  I might have to cave and buy one.  Anyways - it'll be a trial and error winter for sure!

I think she can withstand the cold! Im in Regina, SK... and as our neighbours know last winter was nasty. Bailey was only 2 months old when we brought her home in the midst of it and she loved it, had no problems with  any sort of coat and cold.. Her coat is a little over an inch now and I can not call her inside in the winter- she will lay in the snow and do nose dives. The only thing I recommend is boots of some sort.  We bought some at a craft show- they are just fleece and they do the job.  We've already had problems this year with the snow balling to the feet and making them bleed. I would like to try that mushers secret I think as sometimes the boots fall off, and thats just annoying putting them on again!

I saw those hot pink booties in the picture you posted a few days ago - lookin' good Bailey! 

I hope that Trix will just be a tough winter dog right off the hop too and I'll only have to worry about her paw pads. 

Fleece boots sound like a good alternative if the mushers secret doesn't work!

I am from Calgary and Sadie now five was born in November in Saskatoon.She has been accustomed to cold temps her whole life and loves the snow.She rund and rolls and snorkels through it.

I tried to put a coat on her when she was very young and she hated it. As for her feet I sometimes put balm on them but generally she is just au naturel.She will get the occassional snow ball between her toes and she sits down and takes it out.In Th ecold if your dog cam not run free keep them moving at a good pace and watch for any discomfort such as picking up their paws.

We are members of the naked doodle club so only mushers friend on the paws! I however am always bundled up my DH and I have hats that look like we are Nanucks of the North!

Yeah, funny how we have 5 layers on and they're just sporting her furry birthday suit and are fine!

Guinness is my mini, and he gets much colder than Murph who is more than double his weight.  When he's cold he shivers.  I am planning to put a coat on him for any of our longer walks this Winter.  I don't use boots, but I keep the paws well trimmed and I clean them after each time that they're out in the snow or where they can pick up the salt from the streets.

how much does Guinness weigh?

He weighs 21 lbs.

Guinness and Tara are the same weight and I think that the smaller size does contribute to them getting cold faster than the larger doodles. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service